Belkin Announces First Official Third-Party Lightning Accessories

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While a number of vendors have been launching unofficial Lightning accessories while Apple works to bring official partners up to speed on the new standard, Belkin today became the first official vendor to introduce accessories using the Lightning connector.
    [​IMG]
    Belkin's first two products include a car charger and a Charge + Sync Dock, each priced at $29.99. Belkin is currently accepting pre-orders for the new accessories, which will begin shipping by November 15.

[​IMG]
    The car charger is the only one of the two products to actually include a Lightning connector from Belkin, as the dock simply accommodates the standard Lightning to USB cable offered by Apple.

Article Link: Belkin Announces First Official Third-Party Lightning Accessories

2. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    About time! But a very welcome development!

3. macrumors 6502

robertosh

Love the dock!

4. macrumors 6502

Now if only I trusted Belkin products not to break within a month perhaps this would be worth something....

5. macrumors member

gip

how is the dock a "lightening accessory" its a lump of metal with a hole. You have to provide your own Lightening to USB cable to make it work.

that is a gip.

6. macrumors 68000

iGrip

$30 for a car charger?

That is insane.

7. macrumors regular

quite possibly the ugliest dock I could imagine. phone looks like it's a foot tall on that thing.

I'd rather spend $29 on the adapter from apple to use on my existing cig charger - at least that way I can detatch it and use it elsewhere

8. macrumors 6502a

DudeDad

The dock connects to the headphone jack, so it must have an audio out in the back of the dock....

9. macrumors 6502a

I've had good luck w/ Belkin products. I have a few accessories that are 3-5yrs and still going strong.

Sleek base, I must say.

10. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I really want a good all-in-one solution for car navigation:

• Some type of dock to put the phone in
    • Flexible/positionable arm that stays in place nicely
    • End of the arm should plug straight into the car power port
    • Lightning connector
    • Headset jack
    • USB/Headset cable to plug into AUX input

11. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes.

[​IMG]

12. macrumors 6502

jadot

Yes, it does. It says so on the website.

13. macrumors 68000

Good to see some 3rd parties enter the game... but Belkin is by no means my goto vendor. Hopefully some higher quality vendors step up soon. While I hate buying new cords I have to admit I love the new connector over the 30 pin and pretty much any micro USB or mini USB. Not having to worry about which way or what angle it goes in the port is really nice, especially if your hooking it up at night or (yes I know I should be but it happens) while driving. I bit the bullet and bought 4 of the USB Lightening cables and just made a clean sweep of it. Assuming Apple doesn't change the connectors in the next 5 years I will be set and having original Apple cables has proven time and time again to be much more reliable than 3rd party ones.

14. macrumors regular

Why doesn't Belkin make it coiled? Personally I would prefer all cables coiled in car for safety purposes. Would rather wait Griffin to come up with a coiled charger

15. macrumors 603

I was gonna say, "that looks very much like a car charger"

I can't find anywhere in my Mac to stick this one in. :)

16. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Would prefer not to have an integrated lightning cable in the car charger. I won't buy another that isn't plain ole USB.

The Dock is half-baked. Nice but if you got to run your own cable you may as well make your own dock.

17. macrumors 68040

KdParker

could use a car charger...

----------

Does seem abit high. Will go down as more choices become available.

18. macrumors 68000

Porco

It's a shame so many companies ruin their designs (IMHO) by feeling the need to plaster their names all over the product, especially one like that dock, which as arguably one of its main functions is that of presentation (alongside being a place to charge/connect) might give them pause to think if it would increase or decrease potential sales to tarnish the otherwise sparse design with pointless branding.

19. macrumors 68040

KdParker

Does seem abit high. Will go down as more choices become available.

20. macrumors 65816

I hope this isn't Thunderbolt all over again. I can't believe it's taking this long to get third-party Lightning accessories on the shelves. The phone has been out almost two months.

21. macrumors regular

Rychiar

can't the audio come out through the lightning port? i don't understand the headphone jack on the dock:confused:

22. macrumors 68020

jclardy

Car charger would be a decent deal if the lightning cable was not connected directly, but it is. I think you would be better off buying a $19 Apple lightning cable and a $3 car USB charger.

And the dock would be cool if I could use it for both iPad Mini and iPhone 5...but the audio port ends up preventing that.

23. macrumors member

I am a little disappointed with the design that Belkin has chosen for their car charger. A much more useful design would be to make the auxiliary plug a usb port and make the cord removable. My ideal solution would be an auxiliary plug with two USB ports and a single USB-to-Lighting cable.

Oh well... I am sure that a plethora of solutions will be available soon! :)

24. macrumors 6502a

croooow

Great to see a 3rd party Lightning cord but I will just stick with my USB car charger adapter.
    [​IMG]
    I purchased an extra USB/Lightning cord from Apple but I would also like to be able to charge other devices.

25. macrumors regular

Nice and expensive