Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Belkin has changed the design of the Grip Vue. I assume this was because the initial release, they made the case without actually having one in hand, and now that have re tooled the case, and I can't say I like it as much as the original...

I purchased the Belkin on day one, when the iPad came out. The "lip" on the front covered about 1/4" of glass and make a very secure fit. I decided to trim some of the opening away from the connector port on the bottom of the case, to make the camera attachment fit. I didn't like the outcome, so I went into the Apple store to purchase a new case.

This time, there is NO lip on the glass on the front. The case just barely wraps over the front, and JUST covers the aluminum. I'm pretty disappointed, as it tends to pop off the bottom fairly easily. This is my only real issue. With the wider lip, it was snug and secure, and now, with the current version, it can slip off the sides and bottom with almost no effort. The corners stay secure, but everywhere else does not, and COULD easily cause scratching on the aluminum if you have dust or particles under the lip.

The other noticeable change is the Belkin logo is much smaller on the new version, and the new clear version has a slight blue tint to it. I've included comparison photos for you.

Attachments

• IMG_2026_2.jpg
    IMG_2026_2.jpg
    970.8 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2027_2.jpg
    IMG_2027_2.jpg
    856.4 KB · Views: 218

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
Wow, that sucks and I was debating whether to buy one. I wonder if my Apple store has any of the original ones left in stock.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is not good at all. Part of the appeal to me of that case is the lip.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
That is not good at all. Part of the appeal to me of that case is the lip.

I agree 100%. I'm highly disappointed with this. A lot of the initial praise for the case was the original version, and some people may pick this up based on those initial thoughts.

The other thing effected is the Lay on the table design. I wouldn't put this glass down with confidence anymore. I think they made a mistake by changing this.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
For those angry with Belkin's redesign or their price, check out my thread here detailing a case that is VERY similar and has a lip for around $13. I included a review with pictures. Further, it is offered in both clear and smoke from the eBay seller.

dbagchee

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
Looks like I have the newer one. I don't find that the edges pull off in actual use/handling of the iPad. The edge does pull off when I intentionally play with it, but I don't really see that as an issue.

I wonder if the slight blue color is to help prevent the yellowing that another user reported in the other thread?

tsqrd

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
I have the second version (with the smaller logo) as well, but I can confirm that there is no way it's going to "fall off" with normal use. I'm still perfectly satisfied with the case.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Rather disappointing. That lip was an advantage not something to reduce.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I have the second version (with the smaller logo) as well, but I can confirm that there is no way it's going to "fall off" with normal use. I'm still perfectly satisfied with the case.

You're quoting "fall off" and I don't believe anyone has said that. Having BOTH designs, I can tell you, the original design has almost ZERO give on the edges, even if you pull on them, it's very difficult to get them to budge. On the re design, the corners are tight, but the edges can be pulled away, exposing the aluminum with almost no effort.

Now, if I had only purchased the re-design, I might not be as disappointed, but knowing, and owning a previous design, that fits and protects better... This was a bit of a surprise to say the least. It's STILL a good case. Is it still a $50 case? Not sure about that any more. $39.99... Maybe.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
I think they got rid of the lip because if debris gets under there it will not be a pretty sight. I know I'm a little paranoid about that.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I think they got rid of the lip because if debris gets under there it will not be a pretty sight. I know I'm a little paranoid about that.

This actually makes sense... I was removing the original version every 3 days or so to wipe away debris under the lip, but I still say, without doubt, the fit was far superior. Give and take I suppose. Using the new version for a day now, the biggest issue I see is fit along the speakers. Since it's so easy to pop off the edge, the speaker cut off doesn't line up as well. Not horrible by any means...

I may exchange this for another one and see if the fit is simply a bad case.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Looks like i have the current version but i don't see the problem here, it works great. The edges do not come off and are very rounded. I like :D
And i'm a fan of small logos ftw!

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Looks like i have the current version but i don't see the problem here, it works great. The edges do not come off and are very rounded. I like :D
And i'm a fan of small logos ftw!

I'm with you on the logos. haha!

I should send you the original version to check out. It looks like less a deal in photos, but a side by side comparison, you'll see what I mean. I like the LOOK of the new version better, but the fit of the original... I'm so damn picky with this stuff. LOL

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I'm with you on the logos. haha!

I should send you the original version to check out. It looks like less a deal in photos, but a side by side comparison, you'll see what I mean. I like the LOOK of the new version better, but the fit of the original... I'm so damn picky with this stuff. LOL

LOL well i can see what they did, looks like they just cleaned it up more. Just forget about it haha Companies always make little changes in their products, iv'e notice so many on products that i purchased, for instance the popular Harman/Kardon Soundsticks 2 speakers have looked the same ever since they came out and they still do, iv'e had them for over 2 years and needed to replace them and purchased them again a few days ago and noticed they only changes the bass nob on the subwoofer lol they also made it a click button so it will shut the unit off! Nice little thing they should have made from the first place, i know a lot of people complained about that.
So imo both those changes have been for the better :)

MacMur

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
California
purchased the Belkin on day one, when the iPad came out. The "lip" on the front covered about 1/4" of glass and make a very secure fit. I decided to trim some of the opening away from the connector port on the bottom of the case, to make the camera attachment fit. I didn't like the outcome.

I purchased one of the original Belkin's and then I got my camera kit and I see that the camera kit adapter will not fit through the Belkin opening. Is the opening on the new version bigger?

Thanks

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I purchased one of the original Belkin's and then I got my camera kit and I see that the camera kit adapter will not fit through the Belkin opening. Is the opening on the new version bigger?

Thanks

Damn. NOPE. The connector won't fit flush with my Belkin Vue. Probably going to return the Belkin and get an Incipio Feather or a Switcheasy Nude.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago

Thanks

No, it's the exact same size, and that's one change I was HOPING they would make.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
No, it's the exact same size, and that's one change I was HOPING they would make.

Not mine. Which Belkin do you have? I have the verision with the small Belkin logo in black...

The dock hole is too small.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 80
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 89

dbagchee

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
Yeah the dock hole is perfectly sized to fit the charging/sync cable, so anything wider isn't going to fit (similar issues with some headphones). There's always something isn't there?

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I was saying, on both versions, the dock port hole cut out is exactly the same, both too small for the camera adapter. That's why I cut some away from the bottom of the original one. It works, I just didn't like the look of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.