Belkin iPod photo adaptor 25 roll limit?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by johnnyjibbs, May 18, 2005.

1. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been beaten to death somewhere, I'm having to use internet cafes on my 'round the world travels and don't have much time - a quick search didn't yield anything.

I haven't got my PowerBook with me so I've been transferring the digital photos of my trip for storage on my iPod (just a regular 4G 20GB NOT an iPod Photo) using the Belkin iPod Photo Adaptor (the one using a USB interface, not the memory card reader).

I have two camera memory cards - a 256MB and a 32MB. Every time they are full, I sync to the iPod and then delete. However, it's no longer working. When I hook up the adaptor, it appears to be charging the iPod (i.e. functioning as a battery pack for the iPod) instead of transferring (there's no longer any "Do not disconnect" display). I wondered if the batteries were low, so I bought some new AA's and stuck them in, made sure the iPod and camera batteries were fully charged and it's still not working.

I'm hoping this is not some stupid software limit by Apple. I have 25 photo rolls stored on the iPod but I have only synced about 10 times (for some reason, each 256MB card transfer gets split up into 2 or 3 different photo rolls). I still have 4 months left to go and over 4GB of free space left on my iPod. My memory card is now full and I can't take any more photos!

Can anyone shed any light?

Note: transferring photos to email is not a viable option (too slow) and accessing the iPod on a computer is no good because I don't have any Macs handy and none of the internet cafe computers have FireWire. (Plus I think it may be formatted in Mac OS so I'm worried about data loss when hooking up to a PC!). No Apple Stores anywhere near either - I'm off to Sydney next.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

2. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

tha souds weird - I have that same connector but have never run into any limits. I don't think I've ever loaded more than 10 or so rolls though.

What seems kind of odd to me is that it is spliting your 256 card into multiple rolls - That's never happened when I've copied over my 256 cards (with a 5 megapixel camera). Not sure how many pixels your camera is or if that impacts it.

I tried searching belkins site (link below) but couldn't find any info regarding this over there either.

http://www.belkin.com/ipod/cameralink/

Wish I could help - Good luck

3. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Thanks for the reply. I've had a look at the link you gave me but also could not find anything regarding this issue. I'll just have to try again tomorrow I guess.

I never really understood why it was splitting up the card into several rolls. It's a Canon Powershot S500 camera for what it's worth. That camera takes 5MP shots but I'm generally taking shots at the 2nd best resolution (around 3.8MP). I assumed that it was a MB limit or something for each roll (although this doesn't really seem necessary) but I checked all the photos were being transferred so it didn't really bother me too much.

Today I've just been deleting the odd poor pic to make room for new shots but I'm going to Sydney (and then the rest of Australia) tomorrow so I need to take photos!

The Belkin site does say "virtually unlimited photo capacity" or words to that effect (the 'virtually' relating to the finite capacity of the iPod disc space I presume) but there is nothing saying any other limits. Maybe I my unit has malfunctioned. But the status light on the adaptor is still green when I hook it up, it's just that nothing happens when I click the button. (It just continues to charge the iPod). Weird.

4. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

It sounds like it might be the belkin unit - Maybe it got banged up in one of your bags at some point.

Try to find a store that sells Macs when you get to Sydney (like an AppleCentre - http://store.apple.com.au/buy/applecentre/), maybe they'll let you clear off the pics already on your iPod and burn them to CDs so you could start fresh from there. Or if they sell the camera links there maybe you could try another one to help troubleshoot what might be causing the issue.

5. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Well something even stranger is today it worked! :rolleyes: I didn't even change anything. Maybe it did get bangged about a bit and is on its last legs but I transferred without a hitch today. My card got split into 5 rolls but they're all there. Meaning Sydney pics galore!

My Mac-related problems have a habbit of fixing themselves for no apparent reason after a while. It's a relief, but I'm none the wiser about why it wasn't working before. Thanks for your help anyway. :)