1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Belkin iPod photo download adapter mod

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cheezewiz, Feb 23, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

I recently bought the belkin USB to ipod download adapter to dump all the pictures from my digital camera to my ipod. I was very unhappy to find out that I could only dump my 512 meg CF card to the ipod once before the battery went dead.

Because of the poor performace I decided to mod it. I popped open the ipod connector (after much hastle) on the belkin adapter and located pins 20 (12volt +) and pin 30 (ground) so that I could power those to charge the ipod. After much effort and some small wire I was able to get solder a firewire connector to those pins. I plugged it into the ipod power supply and started it up. And what do you know, my ipod now can be powered while I download my photos.

I personally do no know if there is a con to doing this (such as damageing the ipod) but I dont see any reason for it to not be safe, other than the risk of accidentally wrecking your belkin adapter.

Has anyone done this before? Any comments? I hope this may help someone who is struggleing with the same problem that I had.

--cheezewiz

2. macrumors 6502

gallagb

post pix so we can see what you did

sounds interesting....