Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

belkinusbccable-250x315.jpg
Popular Apple accessory maker Belkin today announced a line of new cables and adapters designed to work with the newly announced 12-inch Retina MacBook, which ships with a single USB-C port.

Most notably, the company has announced a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, which will allow the 12-inch MacBook to be connected to Gigabit Ethernet networks using its USB-C port. Apple is not offering its own USB-C to gigabit ethernet adapter, so users who want that functionality will need a third-party accessory like this one. Belkin has not yet added the adapter to its website, but it will be priced between $19.99 and $29.99.

Belkin is also offering a range of other USB-C cables, which are listed below:

- USB-C Cable ($29.99)
- USB-A to USB-C Charge Cable ($19.99)
- USB-A to USB-C Cable ($29.99)
- USB-C to Micro USB-B Charge Cable ($19.99)
- USB-C to Micro USB-B Cable ($29.99)
- USB-C to Mini USB-B Charge Cable ($19.99)
- USB-C to USB-B Charge Cable ($19.99)

Belkin's cables and the Gigabit Ethernet Adapter will be priced between $19.99 and $29.99 and will ship early this summer.

Article Link: Belkin Announces New Line of USB-C Cables, USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
It's funny that I will need even TWO adapters in a row to work on my MacBook using Ethernet internet without running out of juice...

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Great to see the ethernet cable added :)

To those whining about needing a bunch of cables, why buy this laptop then? there are so many others in apple's lineup, find one that suits your needs.

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Great to see the ethernet cable added :)

To those whining about needing a bunch of cables, why buy this laptop then? there are so many others in apple's lineup, find one that suits your needs.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe the issue isn't people being ignorant of other laptops in apple's lineup--and that the real thing going on here is that people would love to have a laptop that features the design/weight of the Macbook with legacy ports?

I've never understood why people are so quick to say this. It's pretty obvious people didn't just forget about the other models.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's funny that I will need even TWO adapters in a row to work on my MacBook using Ethernet internet without running out of juice...

It would be funny if you actually ran out of juice.... Expecting a cord constantly hanging off your laptop will soon seem as absurd as doing that with an iPad.

It would be even funnier if any significant number of people needed this specific thinnest/lightest option AND needed wired Ethernet!

(Don't forget: everyone will also need a hub and an external drive chassis: because all portable users need a DVD burner and a 4TB spinning HD.)

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
This is NOT the laptop for everyone.
This is NOT the way all the Apple laptop are made...yet

This is more likely the MacBook Air of the future, just cannot be named that since the specs are lesser than the current lineup.

I've known some that owned and used the MBA and this is precisely the thing they liked about it, other than the weight, the fact that you can still do things wirelessly.

Like, my phone is wireless, besides charging and sometimes using the headphones...the same two ports available on the new MacBook.

hey, why not still complain about storage on here...or lack of optical drive or CD/DVD driver, or Serial port, firewire, etc.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe the issue isn't people being ignorant of other laptops in apple's lineup--and that the real thing going on here is that people would love to have a laptop that features the design/weight of the Macbook with legacy ports?

I've never understood why people are so quick to say this. It's pretty obvious people didn't just forget about the other models.

Sorry Apple didn't design this with YOU in mind. I'm thrilled.

And apparently most are... 71% of macrumors users who were surveyed are excited about it. And MR users are highly critical (you) and more tech savvy than the average mac consumer. clearly apple hit the nail on the head, sorry you were left out.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
It would be funny if you actually ran out of juice.... Expecting a cord constantly hanging off your laptop will soon seem as absurd as doing that with an iPad.

It would be even funnier if any significant number of people needed this specific thinnest/lightest option AND needed wired Ethernet!

(Don't forget: everyone will also need a hub and an external drive chassis: because all portable users need a DVD burner and a 4TB spinning HD.)

I'm not sure why you are being so ignorant, but I'd love to buy this very light form factor notebook in a heartbeat as I have to take it with me a freelancer frequently. On the other hand, I am dependent to use Ethernet Internet a lot at the agencys where I am hired to work at their offices (with my own computer). Apart from that, I don't really care about missing USB ports so I am very well a potential buyer for this who realizes what he is getting and what he has to give up in exchange for the form factor.

Couldn't have put it better.

Last edited:

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
So do all of us ios users get to laugh at android users when they start switching over their phones to the C connector? Cause it sure was annoying when they laughed at us when lightning came out and yet we all knew their day would come.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
So do all of us ios users get to laugh at android users when they start switching over their phones to the C connector? Cause it sure was annoying when they laughed at us when lightning came out and yet we all knew their day would come.

I have a felling they'll be laughing at us when Apple dumps the lightning connector for USB-C, and we'll need all new accessories again.

Europe is after all really pushing Apple on the USB front are they not? And USB-C looks to be about the same size.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area

Not really because unlike lightning, USB C is a standard that you'll now see quickly rolled out to numerous devices.

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Sorry Apple didn't design this with YOU in mind. I'm thrilled.

And apparently most are... 71% of macrumors users who were surveyed are excited about it. And MR users are highly critical (you) and more tech savvy than the average mac consumer. clearly apple hit the nail on the head, sorry you were left out.

Did I say I needed this macbook, or needed any macbook for that matter? Nope. Merely pointing out that your original statement criticized the consensus among certain people that a single forward-thinking-but-largely-incompatible port is a source of frustration amongst all the good things this Macbook brings forward in terms of design; and that your proposed solution of "picking a different model in apple's lineup" is actually a non-solution because it implies that gaining access to those legacy ports by picking the other models wouldn't lead to compromises in other vectors.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I wonder if the Gigabit Ethernet adapter will need additional drivers?

USB 3 to Gigabit adapters so far for Mac have required extra driver installation (which could cause problems with Mac OS X updates)

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
I'm not sure why you are being so ignorant, but I'd love to buy this very light form factor notebook in a heartbeat as I have to take it with me a freelancer frequently. On the other hand, I am dependent to use Ethernet Internet a lot at the agencys where I am hired to work at their offices (with my own computer). Apart from that, I don't really care about missing USB ports so I am very well a potential buyer for this who realizes what he is getting and what he has to give up in exchange for the form factor.

Couldn't have put it better.

who's being ignorant? the commenters lamenting the fact that one new macbook has a single usb-c port and assuming or inferring it's a mistake and poor form on apple's part, or that thousands of other people are commenting based on the fact that the new computer looks nice and will suit a lot of people's needs, regardless of whether it suits them specifically? how is mentioning that for the mean time, there are other computers apple offers that will suit your specific port-related needs being ignorant?

what's this crazy notion that you get the thinnest and lightest design they offer AND get all the old ports? ever stop to think that the MB Pro line up will offer at least more ports or even legacy ports in something akin to last year's Air dimensions?

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Did I say I needed this macbook, or needed any macbook for that matter? Nope. Merely pointing out that your original statement criticized the consensus among certain people that a single forward-thinking-but-largely-incompatible port is a source of frustration amongst all the good things this Macbook brings forward in terms of design; and that your proposed solution of "picking a different model in apple's lineup" is actually a non-solution because it implies that gaining access to those legacy ports by picking the other models wouldn't lead to compromises in other vectors.

So in other words, you want Apple to design to your specific use case and you are mad that they didn't.

Apple has designed their laptops so that there are clear categories that they fall in; Ultra-light, low power or Desktop replacement, high power. What has made them successful is not confusing buyers by having models that are so similar that they can't decide which to get.

Sorry, but you have a hybrid, non-typical use case. Apple didn't make a laptop for you. They made laptops that the vast majority will find generally acceptable for their needs. That's not a mistake, it's smart business.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Hasn´t Apple made a laptop like this in the past? With no Firewire(Unibody)? With limited ports(1st gen MBA)? They rolled back after consumer complain, that is exactly what I hope will happen and that is exactly why you should skip this version.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Hasn´t Apple made a laptop like this in the past? With no Firewire(Unibody)? With limited ports(1st gen MBA)? They rolled back after consumer complain, that is exactly what I hope will happen and that is exactly why you should skip this version.

yeah, everyone who's 'mad' will have to wait a whole year for the macbook 2 for an extra port or two. what a game changer. :rolleyes:

..and iOS didn't have copy and paste for a while. and the iPhone didn't have any third party apps. the list goes on, yet still people are indignant when a first of anything comes out. apple is doing pretty great things, but they gimp the First's's. oh well.

i'm personally looking forward to all-in-one ports and forgetting top/bottom front end/back end on all my cords. t'will be nice. whenever they get around to multi-ports. which they will before you know it.

as a last point, is everyone really that adverse to usb hubs/adapters? it's right there on your desk and you plug in when you have any work to do. i don't know how people plug in and out directly all day with different setups and peripherals. otherwise, i'm ready to be mobile or out in the world, and ports are usually not a concern. unless - gasp - i take my 2oz usb hub/ adapters with me and i still don't have to worry about anything.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
what's this crazy notion that you get the thinnest and lightest design they offer AND get all the old ports? ever stop to think that the MB Pro line up will offer at least more ports or even legacy ports in something akin to last year's Air dimensions?

A second small USB-C port (which I consider perfectly possible) would have made all the difference for me to make this new MacBook the absolutely perfect machine for my - personal and subjective - needs. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't complain that Apple didn't fulfill my wishes and I'm not one of those people who demand all the old ports. I'm just a guy/customer with a tear in my eye how close Apple scraped past my dream notebook. And will still probably buy Gen 1 nevertheless and arrange myself with the limitation in exchange to the fantastic "even smaller/lighter than a MacBook Air" form factor in combination with the retina display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.