belkin photo accessory for ipod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jelloshotsrule, Oct 27, 2004.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so yesterday i went to buy the belkin media reader and saw that there is a slightly cheaper ($79 vs $99) belkin accessory for the ipod called the digital camera link.. my question is, do any of you have experience with one, the other, or both?

media reader: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=158350

digital camera link: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=173207

it seems like the main difference is that the media reader is compatible with multiple different types of cards, and you can just plug the card into it, vs. connecting to it with a cable, from the camera... so you only need the 2 things (ipod and media reader) rather than 3 for the camera link (camera, ipod, link)...

anyways, any insight would be cool.

thanks

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm also curious, j-dog. I've been waiting for a capacity rev of the iPods to seriously look at getting a replacement for my 1st gen 5GB.

I also want to know if Apple will release any definitive info on the iPod Photo displaying images transferred from the camera directly onto it.

3. James.Paul macrumors regular

I've been using the Belkin Media Reader whilst i'm travelling the world for a year. It has been very reliable and a life saver as i have been shooting around 175 raw image files a day for the last 3 months (Have had the odd day off!!). You usually get around six/seven full uploads of a 512mb flash card per battery set, so if you shoot a lot you will need a good supply of batteries and some spares. Uploading is slow, takes a good 20 minutes to transfer 512mb of files across and will also use quite a bit of iPod battery life as well but it does the job as it is intended.

The camera link only works with certain camera's so check carefully that yours is supported. I hear it is faster but as i've already got the media reader i'm happy with that. The media reader will work with many different compact flash cards.

Hope this helps

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I have heard from user reports that the Camera Link is faster and takes less battery life from the iPod (both because of the amount of time needed and on a per-minute basis).

5. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so is there a logical reason that the camera link is less expensive? what am i missing?

6. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

Yes, the camera link does not have to have a whole bunch of card readers in it. All it is, is a usb port that takes pictures from the camera. It is using the camera to read the card, not the device it self.

7. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so it's more expensive, more of a drain on the ipod battery, its own battery drains faster... besides the 2 devices needed vs 3 for the cam link, are there any great perks to the media reader (i guess it also could be more compatible, though the two cameras i have should work with the cam link - canon d rebel and a canon s410)...?

thanks all!

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was really interested in the Media reader until I started reading reviews. I think it's just as well to buy more cards and wait to transfer them. Since flash media has come down in price, it's a better argument than it was a month or two ago.

9. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what all did the reviews say that swayed you the other way?

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That the battery life on both the Media reader and the iPod were compromised severely, mainly because of the speed and length of transfer. What Digital Camera and MacFormat both gave it a score under 80 percent.