Belkin Router problems....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mikebatho, Dec 6, 2005.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Ok, I'm hugely confused.

A housemate has talked me into getting a wireless router.

I had a one Meg connection before, straight into a modem supplied by my cable company.

1. He's saying that if I upgrade to a 2meg connection, we'll get 2meg each? How does that work? (I have the router set up to my machine, so I'll need to upgrade my broadband package to 2meg & he'll give me half the cash each month)...is this true, or will the 2meg connection be split between us?

2. He told me that when I ran the setup wizard, to just click next, next, next, next... etc, & zoom through it all. He now tells me that somewhere along the line I should have installed a password, and other people with a broadband connection in the area can access our connection?

I've been back through the wizard, but can't get back to the page where I enter the options to install a password. How can I get back there??

Plus now, I've got a whole bunch of new cables I didn't want.....

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's been ages since I've set up a Belkin but you'll be looking for some sort of wireless security option with WEP or WAP or something along those lines. Sorry, that's not very helpful. :eek:

As for the connection, there'll be a maximum of 2Mbps (obviously less but we'll call it 2Mbps for now) to the house so if he's using 150Kbps, then you can access the rest. It's rare for someone to use their maximum internet throughput at all times, so chances are that you'll get close to the maximum when needed but to get the absolute maximum, your friend must not be using the internet at all. :)

3. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it's possible that if we're both using the internet, I could end up with a slower connection than my old 1mg broadband, say if he's downloading some large files...?

I remember seeing the screen I needed to stay on to get to the part with security & stuff sorted, but it won't let me access that page now...

When I start the Wizard with the router connected, it skips to the end & says the connection was successful...

But now if I unhook the router & start the wizard from scratch, it gets to the stage after I connect the cables, then tells me it can't locate the damned router!!

How it can't locate the router is a mystery to me, seeing as the internet is working fine through it.

At no stage is it taking me to the page where I need to be to add a password.....

Aggghhhh!!!!!!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you accessing it through a browser? Maybe try a different one. :)

As for the possibly slower connection - I think you should get at least half if you're both trying to max out your connections. Most routers that I've come across work this way. :)

5. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, not acessing it through a browser, I'm using the installation wizard thingy that is on the disc supplied.....

I just ge tthe feeling this is more trouble than it's worth. I now have all these cables stretching all over the place, when my workspace already looks like a plate of noodles, and I'm not guaranteed to be any better off than with my 1mb broadband connection.....

6. eeyoredragon macrumors member

eeyoredragon

1. It's... kinda true lol. If you're both using it at the same time (as in both browsing the web), then of course it's going to "split" the connection in some way. But it won't be like 1mb each which is probably what you're thinking. Doesn't work that way; these aren't phone lines ;) Everything's done on a packet by packet basis.

2. You should turn off SSID broadcast and you should encrypt the network (using WPA if it's available).

Don't use the "wizard". Shouldn't have to install software to use your router ;)

In your browser go to 192.168.2.1, enter the default password (you'll need ot look this up in your manual... can't remember if it's blank.... or admin... or 1234... etc), find security and set up encryption. You'll need to pick a password. No biggie.