Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
I like the idea ... even if it isn't the prettiest thing in the world, you can find somewhere to tuck it.

But please ... add audio!

Audio is the sore thumb sticking out in the middle of the left side of a Macbook Air. No elegant solution to it aside from adding some sort of USB soundcard/Griffin iMic type of deal...

Only if there's decent speaker system that takes USB as the audio source...

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Im not overly concerned about usb3 yet. A lot of us Mac users do have investments in FW800 gear though, so that is still important to me right now. It is frustrating that Apple isn't doing usb3 yet, but neither is intel which is hugely lame. Basically requires 'other' third party chipsets and drivers as a result. Personally my preference still leans toward FW800, or TBolt when pricing is cheaper, for the ability to daisy chain devices.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
If it had 1/8" audio out I'd buy it in a second.

[/COLOR]
Audio is the sore thumb sticking out in the middle of the left side of a Macbook Air. No elegant solution to it aside from adding some sort of USB soundcard/Griffin iMic type of deal...

Only if there's decent speaker system that takes USB as the audio source...

I use this with this. Add an USB extension cable to hide the whole ugly thing under your desk and what you end up with is 1 usb cable and magsafe adapter plugged in to get all your connectivity. Unfortunately this solution makes the volume keys on the MBA not work, unless you use soundflower, but that's a pain. I really wish the kensington ethernet adapter/usb hub had audio built in though, with proper drivers so the volume keys worked.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
USB 3.....I mean errr thunderbolt not taking off at this time. Limited support from manufacturers for example. :apple:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Don't know why this comment is rated down, I'm in complete agreement. Talk about a huge footprint and just butt-ugly.

Great, it's a ThunderBolt hub, that's awesome. Why make it such an eye sore? Yes, it's styled after the Mac monitors but it's not a ***** monitor. And my Mac monitor's foot is super thin.

I think people might be rating it down because there's no way to really tell from the pictures how big it might be. I have a feeling it might be a lot smaller than the pictures make it look. But the taco design is a bit funky.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
lets be honest eSata is a pain in the ass having to power down to connect and then power up again and now with faster things like TB it's becoming obsolete and can die in peace, and USB 3 is only here to be a pain in the ass of people who want a decent IO I wish USB had never been used for data transfer, we could all have FW-thumb drives instead of USB ones and the world would be a better place, but unfortunately now USB 3 is here and every tom, rick & harry HAS to have it, I say kill it off now and just replace everything with thunderbolt, and come up with something low bandwidth and and cheap for cheap keyboards and mice, or use TB for that too (I know of some high end gaming gear that could benefit from something better than USB)

wow that turned into a bit of a rant

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
This would be great to have if I still had a notebook; I had something plugged into every single port on my MBP, and unplugging everything was such a friggen hassle.

Those are pretty clearly USB2.0 connectors, not USB3.0.

USB3 doesn't *have* to be in its Pantone Blue shade, it's merely an option.

Also it lacks the 2.0 audio and the mag-power.

Apple has a patent on MagSafe, which is the reason for its non-presence.

iWalrus

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
why are you all complaining about USB 3.0? there's barely any USB 3.0 devices out there yet....why do you think Apple hasn't put them in Macs yet.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
I would love one of these. But i agree it is kinda over sized looking.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
why are you all complaining about USB 3.0? there's barely any USB 3.0 devices out there yet....why do you think Apple hasn't put them in Macs yet.
I can walk into any number of local stores and pick up a USB 3 drive for not much more than a USB 2 variant that works with all my current hardware, including my Mac. I have no idea where to go pick up any sort of ThunderBlunder drive and certainly not for anything approaching USB prices. Beyond those little $50 cables to nowhere I don't see much of anything to walk up and purchase. Typical Apple go-it-alone attitude I guess.

Ever since Apple introduced its new Apple Thunderbolt Display, which should begin shipping in the very near future, users have been hoping for a product that offers the same docking station capabilities without the integrated monitor and $999 price tag.
Or, you know, some actual products to connect with it. The fact that a surprisingly basic and ugly hub is getting this much attention shows what a small world the FireBolt realm really is.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
FireWire drives are extremely easy to find.
Belkin may not want to pay the additional fee to license USB 3 but they should.
Other companies will be making similar devices.

3-USB2 ports just like the new display. USB 3 ports are blue, not white. SO for me this is a BIG FAIL by Belkin unless its just not physically possible to go TB -> USB3.

If that's the case then TB itself is a big fail for users looking to hook cheap storage to TB.

It took years for Firewire drives to come down in price and they are still hard to find, sound familiar?

----------

Completely. Effing. Useless.

So you have no Thunderbolt, USB, Fw800, or display devices that need to connect to anything? Heh.

----------

why did they not include any display ports?

They have mini display port which leaves more room for other ports.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Awesome. I'll be selling my TB display for a nice 30" monitor without built-in mirror as soon as Belkin starts selling this thing.

Admiral Michael

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Canada
I think they should've made is more box shaped, keep the ports they have on the back (with the addition of analog/digital audio) but also add USB, Firewire and Thunderbolt ports on the front.

eSata I could go either way, I hardly ever use the eSata port on my desktop.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
lets be honest eSata is a pain in the ass having to power down to connect and then power up again and now with faster things like TB it's becoming obsolete and can die in peace,[...]
Ever heard of eSATAp?
Sata is the native connection in every hdd/ssd. You can't get faster than the native connection.
Reason why hdd manufacturers are trying to hide sata inside is for you to not get worried about s.m.a.r.t. condition before hdd is out of warranty.
And the difference between TB enclosure and eSATAp enclosure is the additional number in price tag of the former.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
It's huge! Shame it has DC in on the front..surely TB can power it all...
Hopefully it won't be too expensive!!

Oh and go-on belkin, whack a DVD drive in it for us!

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
Ever heard of eSATAp?
Sata is the native connection in every hdd/ssd. You can't get faster than the native connection.
Reason why hdd manufacturers are trying to hide sata inside is for you to not get worried about s.m.a.r.t. condition before hdd is out of warranty.
And the difference between TB enclosure and eSATAp enclosure is the additional number in price tag of the former.

yes I know HDD's use SATA internally but with the architecture of SATA that's where it should stay, the fastest SATA connection to date is 6Gb/s (and I'm pretty sure eSATA is still only 3Gb/s) TB is 10Gb/s so a TB HDD is just as fast and an eSATA/ SATA one just more convenient, and then if you have an external RAID enclosure eSATA is no longer fast enough to give you the speed advantages of RAID making a TB RAID enclosure faster than an eSATA one

and no I have not heard of eSATAp

----------

I can walk into any number of local stores and pick up a USB 3 drive for not much more than a USB 2 variant that works with all my current hardware, including my Mac. I have no idea where to go pick up any sort of ThunderBlunder drive and certainly not for anything approaching USB prices. Beyond those little $50 cables to nowhere I don't see much of anything to walk up and purchase. Typical Apple go-it-alone attitude I guess.

Or, you know, some actual products to connect with it. The fact that a surprisingly basic and ugly hub is getting this much attention shows what a small world the FireBolt realm really is.

you obviously have no idea how crap USB is even compared to FW400 if you did you would be hoping USB would die a swift death, but I have peachiness and will wait for a nice TB HDD to have a nice fast backup and storage drive, a USB backup drive is just painfull

Tazjin

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
you obviously have no idea how crap USB is even compared to FW400 if you did you would be hoping USB would die a swift death

Do you have any links with information concerning this? I've never been much of a hardware guy and it does interest me a lot at the moment :)

Shackrat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
That is the state of technology today. Intel, Western Digital Seagate are all pushing to eliminate SATA from the drives themselves. Intel wants to eliminate one more connector type from mother boards, Seagate/WD don't want to be burdened any longer with bridges for external drives. Within a few years most commercial drives will be shipping as USB3 drives both internal and external.

I believe that you are confused. Technically speaking it makes absolutely zero sense to dump a faster port standard like SATA (6 Gbps) with low protocol overhead, low latency, and lower licensing costs to go with USB 3 (max 5 GBps on a good day) along with its higher protocol overhead and resulting latency.

What is probably likely to happen is that the integrated SATA->USB3 electronics will be built on some drive models allowing them to serve dual purposes, but trust me, SATA is here for a long, long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.