Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Wonder if J&R's 29.99 listing is the actual price for this case? that would seem more in line for what it is. Guess we'll have to wait and see when/if best buy ever officially posts it on there web site... this case appears to be exactly what I've been looking for, but unfortunately my nearest best buy doesn't have any in stock.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
Possibly. BB charged an extra $10 for my incase origami workstation before it was listed on their site. Since it's not advertised or listed on their site, I suppose you buy it on a take it or leave it basis, and price matching doesn't apply since no other brick and mortar store has it. I guess the rationale is that if you're determined enough to track it down by SKU number and call stores, you'll probably pay a premium to get it first.

Last edited:

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
If I end up keeping this and I find it cheaper else where during my 30 days (especially a tax free site). Then i'll just get it there and return the BB one for a refund. No restocking fee, so no issue as long as it's within 30 days. It sounds silly, but every little bit counts especially if you have bought as many cases as I have. :D

duk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
If I end up keeping this and I find it cheaper else where during my 30 days (especially a tax free site). Then i'll just get it there and return the BB one for a refund. No restocking fee, so no issue as long as it's within 30 days. It sounds silly, but every little bit counts especially if you have bought as many cases as I have. :D

Not silly at all, considering this case is designed under the assumption you have already spent 39.99-69.99 for a smart cover... that's a lot to protect your ipad! I'll pick one up if it show's up in stock and just have them do a price match if it ends up reduced somewhere else... one thing to consider, I've noticed in the past, when BB adds a new product like this (third party cases), they're usually on sale for a week (5-10 off) hopefully that will be the case when they make this one official on the website.

bouda

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Best Buy seems to have this overpriced. Had a friend that works there pick one up and it was just less then $12 with their discount. Huge compared to other discounts they receive on brands such as incase which seems to be less then half off. Excited to get it, especially at $12.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Just picked this up - love it. Has a great feel. Unfortunately had to remove my shield on the back, but worth it.

Yunosuke

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Foster City, CA
Just picked this up - love it. Has a great feel. Unfortunately had to remove my shield on the back, but worth it.

Which skin was on? I'd like to use this Belkin case with BSE but BSE actually adds a little thickness to the back so I'm worrying about removing it if I use the Belkin case. The reason why I still want to put BSE on is that I don't want Smartcover to scratch the back of iPad...

Thanks for your info.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
Not a problem with my ghost armor on front and back, but I don't know how thick it is compared to BSE.

I already had the front and back protectors installed, but I still like this setup with the Belkin. Since it comes on and off so easily, it gives me a flexible, modular approach to protection depending on my use of the ipad at that moment.

Last edited:

dreamphyre

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
Here is a pic of the Belkin with a black carbon fiber skin on the ipad.

IMAG0015.jpg

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I can't find this case anywhere!
Sure you can preorder at J&R but who knows when they might see that!
Can't understand why Belkin does not list this on their US web site. I'm going to give them a call to find out what's up.

Talked to them, it will be in stock in mid may or early June.

see my other thread on smart feather, bad news on that front!

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
I can't find this case anywhere!
Sure you can preorder at J&R but who knows when they might see that!
Can't understand why Belkin does not list this on their US web site. I'm going to give them a call to find out what's up.

Talked to them, it will be in stock in mid may or early June.

see my other thread on smart feather, bad news on that front!

Have you tried calling best buy with the SKU number?

bouda

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
When I got mine it was in the back not on the shelf. I do not know why they are not putting them out, especially if people are buying them for $40.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
When I got mine it was in the back not on the shelf. I do not know why they are not putting them out, especially if people are buying them for $40.

Because I suspect the list price is not $40, but rather 30. I think they're scalping the compulsive early people a bit. They'll probably be cheaper once they're officially in the system and on the shelf.

bouda

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Anyone know exactly how thin the Belkin is?

As thin as an Incipio Feather?

I have not seen the feather, but since it does not cover the bottom or top of the iPad I will not purchase it. I do not understand why so many of the back covers to not protect these areas.

bouda

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Very strange... just looked at mine before I decide to open it... mine has the logo etched in the case, not in white - clear. But what is disappointing is that the side with the volume button is cut out the same way the side where the smart cover attaches...leaving it completely open for scratches. Is there two versions of the case? The bottom is also much more open as the speaker is not surrounded but the case, there is just an opening that continues to the dock connecter. I am bringing this one back. I want full coverage. Same sku too...

Last edited:

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Very strange... just looked at mine before I decide to open it... mine has the logo etched in the case, not in white - clear. But what is disappointing is that the side with the volume button is cut out the same way the side where the smart cover attaches...leaving it completely open for scratches. Is there two versions of the case? I am bringing this one back. I want full coverage.

Can you provide a picture to clarify?

I would be real interested to see an etched logo as you described. As for the button cut-outs... The ones close to the edge, like the volume rocker, are surrounded by case, the cut outs are open to the edge. If you consider that not "full protection" then I think that's a bit "nit picky" IMO. It's so far the only hard shell to provide as close to full protection (top and bottom) as you're going to see.

bouda

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Can you provide a picture to clarify?

I would be real interested to see an etched logo as you described. As for the button cut-outs... The ones close to the edge, like the volume rocker, are surrounded by case, the cut outs are open to the edge. If you consider that not "full protection" then I think that's a bit "nit picky" IMO. It's so far the only hard shell to provide as close to full protection (top and bottom) as you're going to see.

No, I agree with you. This is way different... Even the head phone jack has a different cut out.

Attachments

• IMAG0291.jpg
    IMAG0291.jpg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMAG0292.jpg
    IMAG0292.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMAG0293.jpg
    IMAG0293.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 150

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
No, I agree with you. This is way different... Even the head phone jack has a different cut out.

yeah, way different. I like the etched logo, but not at the cost of coverage. that's weird that they would do it. i know with the grip vue there was a revision soon after the first one, but they weren't this different.

bouda

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
yeah, way different. I like the etched logo, but not at the cost of coverage. that's weird that they would do it. i know with the grip vue there was a revision soon after the first one, but they weren't this different.

I hope mine is not the revized one. I want the other one and it would be very hard to get.

bouda

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Interesting... where are you guys located? Mine is def. Going back. What a deal breaker. The other style is much better.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.