Belkin USB Hub Oddity

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sesshi, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I was so pleased with the Belkin USB hub (the silver one which said it was specially for Macs) that I got some more.
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=196181

Then more recently I've got the black ones which I thought were the same.
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=159070

Turns out only the silver ones supply power when the host computer is off. The 'power while computer not connected' is hugely useful because you can charge iPods, etc even if the computer's off. And if you're travelling, you can use the hub to charge up to 4 USB-charging devices at once - no need to take multiple bricks.

I have looked underneath the hubs and there is a difference: The black ones are a "F5U234 Rev.3" while the silver ones are just "F5U234".

I've bought the hubs ovbiously so there's no way I can change them but I thought I'd write this just in case it's useful for someone. My only question is: Why would Mac versions be rigged like this? It's an advantage obviously but just wondered if there was something in the Mac's USB2.0 implementation which made this a requirement.

2. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

Sesshi -

I needed to buy a USB hub today and searched on the MR forums to see what people recommended. I ended up with the Belkin F5U234 Rev.3 (Best Buy only had that or a Targus). After setting it up, and remembering your post, I wanted to point out that ports 1 and 2 are powered even if your computer is off; ports 3 and 4 are powered only when your computer is on. Assuming you have the USB cables going away from you when looking at the hub, the powered ports would be on the left. From what I understand, this is the same as the "silver Apple" version.

micvog

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Hmmm... that makes sense. I'll play around with both later. Thanks for the pointer.