Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah, they are fundamentally the same. But how long would you use your car before needing to buy a new car? Replace it once per year?
I've had the same bt headphones for 5 years and still working well. Really think you would replace headphones every year? I keep my cars for shorter periods of time.

Strozzascotte

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
México
I mainly bought it to get Bluetooth Audio to use with my Ety earphones when I was on the treadmill, but it will work in the car ( my girlfriend's car doesn't have Bluetooth or a USB port for music and we often use it for road trips). I think there are similar devices for less money.

You can replace the car stereo with a new one with Bluetooth and USB and SD Card reader for less than $20.

https://www.amazon.com/XO-Vision-Wi...3422676&sr=1-14&keywords=car+stereo+bluetooth

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Oh, then those batteries embedded inside wireless headphones are not the source of landfill and electronic waste? And who knows when those small batteries will explode and hurt your ears harshly.
What Apple does is encouraging More landfill and waste, not the opposite.
You're thinking short term again. Wireless tech can keep getting greener. Battery tech can get greener and safer.

Wired tech will always be made of wires. The 3.5mm jack will always need a 3.5mm metal plug. It's an ecological dead end.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
You're probably right but for the sake of a few bucks Apple has risked a heap of bad publicity when they could have shipped the wireless buds with the phone. And everyone would have said "wow"!

It isn't a few bucks. They are selling the Wireless Airpods for $159. The margins on that thing is probably higher than on the iPhone. And they are going to sell a ton of them. Also, why would Apple give away good headphones when through Beats it is in the high margin headphone business? Think about the margins it will get on those Beats phones? Once they are selling iPhones in store for your regular walk in customer, think how many will walk out with either the AirPods or a pair of Beats? Or on the online store they will add a pair of Beats to their shopping cart. The numbers will be huge. And your think Apple should kill all of that by flooding the market with millions of "free" Airpods? Your plan would literally have cost Apple billions of dollars; maybe even tens of billions of dollars.

Bitemyapple69

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
I honestly dont care about charging and using the old jack... ive got a great set of Bluetooth headphones and my home system is also bluetooth compatible so being tethered to a 3ft cable to listen to music has never been my thing...

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
This.
Why would I buy such a thing to use an adapter plugged into another adapter?

Ya gotta collect them all! Just like PokeMon Go! But, it's real life and you buy them for the low low price of $40/ea! :)
[doublepost=1473438850][/doublepost]
21 pages of posts. Well, I already know how fierce the discussion would be as I am the one who will be affected by this change.

Again, wireless is NOT the future. And wife will never go away, as either could not replace the other.

I would welcome a much smaller dongle if I really need one. This one is not what I want.

Oh, if someone can receive digital signal using their own body then please enlighten all of us as we are not capable to do so yet.

If you connect each and every adaptor Apple makes, just right... ;-)

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Apple couldn't innovate so they had to get rid of the headphone jack to make the iPhone waterproof despite the fact that Samsung and Sony achieved waterproof phones with headphone jacks years ago.

Now you get a kludgy mess with dongles for dongles. What a joke.

Reactions: MaloCS

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Ya gotta collect them all! Just like PokeMon Go! But, it's real life and you buy them for the low low price of $40/ea! :)

Samsung put it well.

Apple would rather make an extra buck selling you dongles, adapters, pencils, etc; things to help get around crippling design flaws.

Samsung would rather make an extra buck selling 360 degree cameras and VR viewers; things to make the experience more fun.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Apple couldn't innovate so they had to get rid of the headphone jack to make the iPhone waterproof despite the fact that Samsung and Sony achieved waterproof phones with headphone jacks years ago.

Does someone keep deleting your posts? Like, you offended one of the mods somehow? Because I swear I've seen you say almost these exact things in at least three other posts on this thread...

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016

Kludge? It's a tiny 2 inch extension for the minority of users who want to use their legacy connector until those old headphones wear out or you want to just use the included lightning ones or wireless. No need to exaggerate
[doublepost=1473442724][/doublepost]
Samsung put it well.

Apple would rather make an extra buck selling you dongles, adapters, pencils, etc; things to help get around crippling design flaws.

Samsung would rather make an extra buck selling 360 degree cameras and VR viewers; things to make the experience more fun.

Except Apple gave it away for free. Kind of hurts your conspiracy theory

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Kludge? It's a tiny 2 inch extension for the minority of users who want to use their legacy connector until those old headphones wear out or you want to just use the included lightning ones or wireless. No need to exaggerate

Speaking of exaggerating ... do you mind providing actual PROOF to your claim that this only affects "the minority of users who want to use their legacy connector until those old headphones wear out".

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Except Apple gave it away for free. Kind of hurts your conspiracy theory

Apple gave away a free way to charge your phone while using your headphones? I must have missed that article.

Apple gave away a free stylus -- er pencil with their iPP? Considering it's the one distinguishing feature of the "pro" iPads, it would be silly to use the "pro" without the pencil.

My Note 7 even came with an adapter to connect directly to USB drives to access mass storage. It's a standard USB port. I can connect a wired keyboard and mouse to my cell phone. And the connector came in the box.

Apple wants to make money off accessories so badly, they've turned their phone into a cheesy kludge of adapters if you want to actually use the thing.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Speaking of exaggerating ... do you mind providing actual PROOF to your claim that this only affects "the minority of users who want to use their legacy connector until those old headphones wear out".
Can we all just agree that since nobody actually has the product in hand and since there haven't even been opinion polls that we have no proof beyond personal anecdotes for either side, and as such everybody is wrong?

Good deal, thanks.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015

Yes. The iPhone 7 is kludge. And what's with this reference to the 3.5mm jack as 'legacy' ?? Just because apple got rid of it just because theyre too incompetent to make it waterproof all of a sudden means it's legacy? It's THE standard connector for audio.

Reactions: DevNull0

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Mine still has the hand crank on the front, so there.
Work the pet cock switch.
[doublepost=1473444839][/doublepost]
Yes. The iPhone 7 is kludge. And what's with this reference to the 3.5mm jack as 'legacy' ?? Just because apple got rid of it just because theyre too incompetent to make it waterproof all of a sudden means it's legacy? It's THE standard connector for audio.
So are the quarter inch banana plugs. Great things about standards is you have so many to choose from. What will matter is how well this sells and not what people complain about.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
That is not really. Great solution because the cords are going to get all tangled up and you are going to have one big mess.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Work the pet cock switch.
[doublepost=1473444839][/doublepost]
So are the quarter inch banana plugs. Great things about standards is you have so many to choose from. What will matter is how well this sells and not what people complain about.

Well, the great thing is they're already complaining. iPhone 6 had the headphone jack and bluetooth for wireless headphones and still had the same 7.1mm thickness. Apple's lying through their teeth... for some reason though, some people actually buy into what they're saying.

How can a company on the scale of Apple disrespect it's consumers like that?

Reactions: MaloCS

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016

"Legacy" doesn't mean that it was bad, just that it has been surpassed and replaced.
[doublepost=1473445358][/doublepost]
Apple gave away a free way to charge your phone while using your headphones? I must have missed that article.

Apple gave away a free stylus -- er pencil with their iPP? Considering it's the one distinguishing feature of the "pro" iPads, it would be silly to use the "pro" without the pencil.

My Note 7 even came with an adapter to connect directly to USB drives to access mass storage. It's a standard USB port. I can connect a wired keyboard and mouse to my cell phone. And the connector came in the box.

Apple wants to make money off accessories so badly, they've turned their phone into a cheesy kludge of adapters if you want to actually use the thing.

God rest your Note 7

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016

Logic isn't it? Who else would use it?
[doublepost=1473446280][/doublepost]
Apple's replacement is still kludge though. It's such a miserable experience... they completely dropped the ball on this.

For the last time, it's clear it has made you miserable, but remember most people only use the included Earbuds; they'll only notice and care and enjoy the benefits of lightning/digital connection. The next big group are the people who only stream and never use headphones or are wireless. This large group will love the great new Apple wireless system and new stereo speakers. Someone who has legacy equipped plug will put the tiny free adapter in the end and forget about it. Misery loves company, but other than some other MR commenters, you are going to be pretty lonely

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
How many people even have a radio that has an aux jack? How many people use it? How many people don't have usb port in their car or bluetooth audio?

I have it and use it every day. And my car does have USB but the interface for it is horrible so I don't use it.

Reactions: DevNull0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.