Beloved Pismo

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mymemory, May 3, 2002.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Hi crew,

Right here in Venezuela the thing is getting crazzy about the new TiBook, every body are selling their old Ti's but.... just one Pismo for sell. A friend of mine that owns a Mac store received just yesterday 4 Ti (as a part of payment) and one Pismo with 512MB and 20GBHD for $1000!!!. Here in my country the Pismo still very popular, looks like (and I think that too) the Ti is not that versalite yet besides all the nice features, right now the Ti is the equivalent to the SCSI Powerbook G3 or Lombard is I am not wrong. Now:

Does any body know about any processor upgrade for Pismos?

My friend (the owner of the store) has a CD/DVD burner for his Pismo. But, does any body know about any processor upgrade?

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

3. iGav macrumors G3

I used to have a company Pismo a couple of years ago......:(

Very good machine in it's time..... ;)

But I don't miss it.... it's like carrying a housebrick around in comparison to the TiBook..... :D

Although I do miss it's Tonka Toy construction..... ;) :D :p

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Overclocking

You can overclock your iBook by increasing your system bus. This is a hairy upgrade and it will cost you a warrenty. You can read about it in the march issue of MacAddict. The pic gives you an idea of what the page looks like. Sorry for poor quality.

Attached Files:

5. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

No upgrades available, but...

...a great machine none the less. You'll be stuck with the G3 (unless www.sonnettech.com comes up with some insanely smart super-chip), but will get 2 firewire, a crisp 14.1" display, and the nice black case. All for $1000, which is not bad.

My 2 ¢, your $1000

6. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

MM, you sure do love those Pismos, and more power to you for it.
    Tell me how for the same money a Pismo is better than a brand new iBook. $300 difference isn't much considering that one is brand new with warrranty and up to date software. Here's how I see it in the Pismo vs. iBook showdown:
    Swappable drives? Firewire.
    Multiple batteries? Longer standard battery life.
    heavy- lightweight.
    black-white.
    I can see someone being perfectly happy with either, but for my money the ibook seems to be an easy winner.

7. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

Look for BlueChip G4 upgrades for Pismo/Lombards comming soon.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

I would think that because of the smaller screen and size mentioned for the iBook in comparison to the Powerbook G3, as SPG just previously did, the PBG3 sort of stretches the meaning of portable. Sure, the Powerbook G3 looks nice, but the iBook is just more compact.

I have a 466 myself (the Graphite), and it works pretty well. The only thing I do not like about the iBook 466 is the low maximum screen resolution. Luckily, Apple fixed this in the iBook update to 500MHz.

mymemory, have you chosen an avatar? I would just like to ask, since there are two threads in General Discussion that deal with avatars. They are becoming popular...

Any time is a great time for iPod.

9. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

I think the Pismo is a better deal than the iBook, actually is more a matter of opinions.

The system buss in the PB is fater, the backside cache too, I know that is getting havier with the years (specially becuase of the batteries), but is very expandable.

What I really would like to have for the Pismo is more video ram. The really good competitor is the top of the line iBook.

I like the PB G4 but is not that mature yet. I mean, if you compare the development of the PB G3, you will tell the G4 is in it's earlier stages yet. I'm looking for a clasics, not for transitions products. I'll wait for the PB G4 later on the road.

And about the iBook.. I think they are very good deals but if you own a Pismo, the difference is not that much.

10. iGav macrumors G3

The Pismo was a good machine in it's time, but the TiBook just kicks it into touch, completely.... without question........

The TiBook I have found, to be a robust machine, unless you treat it like a complete twat, and throw it around, but even then the Pismo wasn't that much stronger..... the only thing you have to be careful with is that the paint finish on the TiBoook is easier to scratch than the Pismo, that said, the Pismo was easily scratched, it's just that plastic isn't necessarily as noticeable as Titanium.....

Personally I wouldn't wait for later versions of the TiBook, the lifespan of the current form from now, maybe has another 6 to 12 months before a major overhaul if the PB G3 is anything to go by.....

+ something tells me it won't take Apple as long to release a PB G5 as it did a PB G4......

Just my thoughts..... but a TiBook renders the Pismo obsolete in almost everyway!!!