Ben Bernanke as Greenspan Replacement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sun Baked, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Good or bad, this is a decision that affects the wallet of everyone in the US.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

KT? KT?

Is someone posing as you on the forums? You're "online" and yet no reply?

*** dials police ***

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... seems like a fairly safe choice, although I don't know much about this guy yet.

The last thing Bush needs in another controversial nominee at this point.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This guy does at least sound well qualified, in the brief amount of time I read about his credentials.

I'd like to be interested in the nuances of his interest-rate philosophy and able to assess how well he'll influence the US economy, but this stuff is not exactly my field. He'll try to keep inflation low I imagine.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

More than 20min and no reply? I'm getting worried...

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

omg am I not allowed to go to class?

...I leave MR on at home because in the morning I read some before I head off to school. GEEEEZ. :p

H'ok
    so
    if y'all have noticed I have changed my 'tar to...
    BEN BERNANKE!!!
    Not Greenspan (ok, it was t. geit) no mo!

SO
    Greenspan has had the longest term EVER!
    He took the last 2 years of Voelker's term and has been in for a hella long time. He could be in even LONGER if Bush grants a 6 month extension, to help decide on a new one. (that'd be so coooool!!!)

Alright
    so
    GEITHNER is the young hot-shot economist. He's the president of the NY FRB. I think it'd be TOTALLY AWESOME if he did it. but NOOOO! George Bush NEVER LISTENS TO ME!

So, I hope the new guy sucks.
    Seriously
    investors have so much confidence in big poppa G-Span (or Gmoney as I call him) that they are investing willie nillie, thinking "oh, Notorious AL-AN G will fix it for me, yo"
    SO

we need someone to really REALLY screw up and make investing fun and risky again!

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

Even though everyone else seems to think Greenspan was the cats pajamas, i always thought that he was overrated. But yeah, this successor seems qualified, he used to be on the Federal Reserve board. And the PhD from MIT doesn't hurt. Still, I think he's got a big job ahead of him because the economy's got some serious problems.

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Man, I don't trust Ben.
    Look at him, sitting there
    all smug
    in his sunglasses.

It should TOTALLY be Roger Ferguson

He's the man!!

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The markets seemed to approve of the choice...

12. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    robert reich gave him 2 thumbs up so i guess he's ok.

housing bubble, stagnant wages, inflation, low consumer confidence, budget deficit...frankly, i wouldn't want the job at this point.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sometimes a job is just a job.

14. tristan macrumors 6502a

You forgot sky-high energy prices, hurricane reconstruction, and a China slowdown. :)

I'm predicting that '06 will be the year that the US economy gets tied up, thrown in the trunk of a cadillac, driven out to the desert, shot execution style, and buried in a shallow grave. Other than that, I'm pretty bullish.

15. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I like your style.
    :D

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So you're saying we've got two months left? That's all the time I need to make my fortune.

[runs to invest in 60-day CDs]

17. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Aaaahahahaha yes!
    YES!
    rampant investment! more more!! MORE!

/why don't you invest in ARGEntiNA?!
    //AAHAHAHA
    ///laughs all the way to the bank
    ////of argentina, they're offering 40% return!

18. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Hmmmmmm.

So why is this guy a good pick anyway? I've been too lazy to read about it.

19. tristan macrumors 6502a

Strong academics: PHD from MIT, taught at Stanford and Princeton. Widely published. Former Fed Governor (one of many who sits on the Fed's oversight board). My guess is that Greenspan recommended him.

They say he's an inflation hawk, which is probably what we need to help other countries maintain their confidence in the dollar, but could lead to some short term pain (i.e. higher interest rates). My guess is that he'll keep rates significantly higher than greenspan did, and he may even have some evil plans for the housing bubble and Freddie/Fannie.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i reckon paul krugman knows him fairly well, being that he's at princeton, too. i anxiously await his column.

21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

KT, being you appreciate Latinos, you've probably heard the best investment going is to buy an Argentine for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth.:cool:

22. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Sounds good. I don't suppose anyone can predict what he is going to do with interest rates in the future can they?

The housing bubble is definitely a looming problem. I have a feeling that it will be worse than a stock market bubble, since it involves where people live and the house(s) they may lose, rather than just money they chose to invest unwisely.

The rising cost of energy is a concern, if wages do not increase at some point to meet the increased of living and housing, everyone is being effectively set back.

Businesses thrive on what the market has to spend. If no one has any spare money to spend, business does not thrive.

Considering what most Americans choose to drive though, there are massive amounts to be saved and gained through people just switching to more practical vehicles that get significantly more mileage. Probably not as easy as it sounds though.

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

You mean you don't take your PB to school? I would think such a fine academia would appreciate your taste and use of Apple products!

24. emw macrumors G4

emw

Traveling yesterday, didn't see the news until this morning's USA Today. Is it scary that my first reaction was "I wonder what katie thinks of this?"

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was thinking that same thing. :p Well, I guess the guy doesn't suck. Of course, compared to most of Bush's other nominees for other important positions, our expectations weren't exactly high to begin with. Keep lowering that bar Georgie Boy.