Ben Folds in Apple Ad

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jun 28, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Ben Folds will be featured in an upcoming Apple Ad:

Keep an eye out for Ben’s speaking role (no music) in Apple’s new I-Book TV ad campaign.

2. macrumors 68020

G4scott

Could this possibly mean new iBooks?

3. macrumors 6502

they just put out a new ibook

4. macrumors regular

i hate that guy! a retarded monkey could write better lyrics! and his voice is terrible! a bad move by apple. The older crowd probably wont know who he is, and the younger crowd will just say "i hate that guy! a retarded monkey could write better lyrics! and his voice is terrible!"

That would have been a good move in like 1996 but its a little too late.

5. macrumors regular

Who is this turkey?

How come Apple always has sissies for spokespeople? Why not have some Playboy Playmates saying how much they love to get naked for guys who own Macs? I think my idea is better than theirs.

6. macrumors 6502a

drastik

Apple is definitely going full out for the cool factor now. They want people to first associate regular people with the switch, then big deal people, then make the connection that the MAc can help regular people become big deal people. THese ads are in the spirit of the 1984 ad, which I think they should run again anyway, wiht a picture of gates on the big screen.

I don't like Ben folds either. Personally I think Kurt Vonnegut would be a better choice, but no one asked me. Still, Folds is kind of a big star, even if his crap stinks. ;)

7. macrumors 6502a

ebow

Rockin' the iBooks

What, am I the only Mac nut who's also a Ben Folds (Five) fan? Besides a former flatmate... I do agree that Vonnegut would be an excellent choice, but lighten up, people. :p

8. macrumors member

yeah, lighten up. geez, people have such venom. ooh, do this, do that, it's what i'd like, he sucks. whooboy. for mac-faithful, people will sure negatively jump at anything. it's a good move. ben folds is not the ONLY celeb they have lined up. he's one of several. do you have to like all of them????

9. macrumors regular

My comments were sarcastic, I was just making fun of him. I'm not into his music, I don't know who he is, how is this good advertising? Why not have people who are KNOWN to everybody pimping your stuff.

That was my point.

10. macrumors 65816

Taft

Because not everyone who is famous is a mac fan or is willing to whore themselves to the advertising world. Its in Apple's best interest to find people who are actual Mac fans and users to hawk their products. These are the kind of people who will be most believable and who are most likely to continue the advertising push in theis personal lives.

Plus, its possible they get a price break or even a free appearance by a minor celebrity who really likes Apple.

I think its a good idea. And Ben Folds is relatively popular, especially in younger markets which are important to win. We'll have a bunch of middle-class wanna-be piano rockers asking mommy and daddy for a Mac. And while I phrased that negatively, its really a good thing for Apple.

Plus I really like Ben Folds. Fear of Pop rocked!!!!

Taft

11. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I don't know what u guys are talking about...Ben Folds is hella cool man! :D

I think it's really cool how Apple is branching out to the Gen X crowd (20 somethings) to gain popularity.

I say way to go...keep it up! ;)

12. macrumors member

Ben Folds Rocks
    His Lyrics are smart and thought out.
    Having a celebrity with that kind of creativity is a good thing.
    Rather him then some over produced boy band.

Beats the Dell Dork too!
    dude your getting a "piece of crap"

13. macrumors newbie

Ben Folds is exactly the type of celeb that they need advertising for them. Apple has always appealed to the "Different" crowd and Ben Folds' music fits perfectly with Apple's style. He's big in the alternative scene (real alternative music, not what MTV and Sam Goody catagorize as alternative) and I think it'll get some PC using artistic types to give Macs a second glance.

14. macrumors member

Go Ben

Yea, Ben rocks! I am not as big of a fan of his latest album, but I used to see him live all the time when I lived in virginia, very cool guy, and he would actually talk to people after the shows etc! LEt alone most of his albums are recorded in his house on a simple multitrack without any crazy editing. With how poor and processed SO much of modern pop music is, I think it is pathetic people are cutting on an act like him that really has bucked the music industry quite succesfully...

Lauren

15. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Woo-hoo! I love Ben Folds. I have all the Ben Folds Five albums and Ben's latest solo album. Can't wait for the next album!

16. macrumors member

(Score: -1, Troll)

Ben Folds is a great musician. Brick has got to be one of my all-time favorite songs.

17. macrumors 68000

beatle888

wow, i dont know who this guy is........

and i like to think that i follow music. I know who:

Bjork
    Bowie
    Perry Ferrell
    Peter Murphy
    muzik
    korn
    system of a down
    linkin park

who is ben?

hmmm, maybe i should check this guy out.

18. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I have no idea who Ben Folds is...

19. macrumors 68000

beatle888

I just checked him out.....

well, a little too teenybopper for me but maybe thats just
    what apple needs. I really hope BOWIE does a commercial.
    He loves APPLE, he made a list of 700 songs that he would
    put on an iPOD if he had one! Hows that for longing for
    a product? I wouldnt make a list of 700 anything.

By the way, Bowie recieved his much anticipated iPOD for
    christmas last year, a gift from his wife.

hehe

20. macrumors newbie

Bowie

That's a great story -- definitely ad material.

I'm also a minor fan of Ben Folds. Apple should get a lot of different kinds of people to do the ads -- users like Rush Limbaugh (as objectionable as he is, he's recognizable), or George Lucas ... whether you like what they do, the point is that they can do whatever that is on a Mac.

21. macrumors member

My picks...

Here's who I'd like to see promote the mac that I know use it:

Tony Hawk
    Thom Yorke (or all of Radiohead.... good luck with that)
    Shaq (at least the ipod)
    David Bowie
    Trent Reznor

Anyone else care to add to the list?

In the meantime, I will do my best to become famous so I can promote the mac.

-Alex

22. macrumors newbie

Moby

I'm sure Moby's for sale.

23. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

ben folds rocks. he is probably one of the best artists to come out of the east coast in a long time. for all those that dont like him, ben folds requires the intelligence to understand his lyrics/audience in conjunction with the humility to laugh at ones self.

24. macrumors regular

Ditto.

Ben Folds rocks, fellas. Sorry you're missing out.

25. macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I don't personally like Ben Folds' music at all, but from what I hear, he's alright. I don't know if he's the type I'd want to hawk Macs, though. I was hoping Apple would be getting some cooler celebrities in on this, like:

- The iBook, with Mr. T (I'm sure they could work "I pity the fool" into it somehow)

- The iPod, with Brando, listening to INXS or something ("I need you tonight... there's something about you, girl... that makes me sweat")

- The iMac, with Abe Vigoda (Just have him stand next to it for 30 seconds, saying nothing, glaring directly into the camera, with absolutely nothing happening in the commercial, and I think that would be the most hilarious 30 seconds ever)

- The Power Mac, with the Crocodile Hunter ("WWWWOW! Looka the SIZE a THAT ONE!! Isn't SHE a BEAUTY!!")

- The PowerBook, with Carrot Top.