Benchmark of P4 vs. G5?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ravenvii, Apr 4, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Anyone know of a benchmark where they compare the G5 single 2.0 GHz against a Pentium 4 2.0 GHz? I know it's a utterly unfair comparasion, but my aim is to dispel the MHz myth, and this is a good wwy to do it.

It'd be great if it's a Photoshop CS benchmark (everyone know what Photoshop is, better than some obscure benchmarking program).

Thanks!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There's never been a single 2.0GHz G5 Machine, and a 2GHz P4 would also be running on a much slower BUS (they're old now! 400MHz I think back then).

3. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

umm why go though all that trouble with test that are easily disputted. (competely diffence chip artechure) I think their are plenty of test out their that dispute the Mhz myth. Just look for something like an AMD 3000+ clock at 2.0 ghz beating to keep up with p4 clock at 3.0 ghz. It is a lot harder to dispute to diffence x86 chips. AMD is about the only compainy now not getting into the mhz game. Apple is getting a lot heavier into it and Intel always been it it.

4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Oops, I forgot that there was never a 2.0 GHz single G5 :p

And the benchmark I'm using is going to be presented to clueless PC users who wouldn't know what x86 is, let alone RISC. They basically look at Pentium 3.8 GHz, and then at the G5 2.5 and say "wow the G5 sucks."

Those people are who I'm presenting the MHz myth to.

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Aw **** it, I'll just grab a dual G5 2.5 GHz benchmark off Barefeats. That'll have to do.

6. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

I think a great example of the mhz myth is the Cube, 512 ram and at 450mhz, the Windoze user gasps at how outdated it is and how slow it must run.
    But it Runs Panther great and can do everything from Office 2004, to Pages and Keynote, Browses nicely, Mail and ichat and much more and can do it quite quickly. We had a pentium 3 400mhz and it ran like total sh*t, running a browser and Word was way too much for it.