Benchmarks G4 PB vs. CD/C2D MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxxum, Nov 9, 2006.

1. maxxum macrumors newbie

I was waiting for apple to upgrade to C2D and was hoping the new macbooks would NOT have glossy screens to avoid buying the bigger and bulkier macbook pro.

My other option is to go a generation back and pick up a used powerbook G4. Weird, huh? I just need a portable/ultraportable device that can run OSX so I can do a little bit of unix/osX programming every now and then.

Where can I find benchmarks, or if someone has both comparisons of one against the other in tests like in Photoshop etc.?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could try XBench's database to see how other people's machines compared in various hardware-based tests. None of them are specific to any apps though :eek:

Or you could get a MacBook and some sandpaper...

3. maxxum thread starter macrumors newbie

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

My PBG4 1.67 is almost exactly 4x slower than 2.16 CD MBP, doing video encoding (3rd party encoder, not QT). I'm sure that would be a max difference, but it's very significant.

5. whowasthursday macrumors newbie

Is Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop universal yet (i.e. intel and ppc?). Because if they are still just ppc and running on rosetta for the intels I could see that being an area where the powerbooks might outperform.

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

No UB yet, but I did read that 10.4.8 increased the rosetta performance by 30%? Not sure if that's true.

At any rate, it's only a matter of time before CS3 comes out, and then the Intel machines will blow the G4's outta the water.