Bending back a dropped PowerBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by frugme, Dec 5, 2004.

1. frugme macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2004

I have searched and found threads about dropped, damaged PowerBooks. Those threads usually went off into discussions of insurance, AppleCare, etc. I don't want to know about any of that. I already know what my options are and the circumstances of the damage on this PowerBook.

Here's what I would love to know. Has anyone successfully bent back out-dents and warping on a PowerBook case? If so, got any advice?

I have a 1.33G G4 12" PowerBook. The damage is that the bottom case is warped, so that is is concave both in the width and depth of the case. The result is also outward dents above the screen release button and right above the CD drive slot. The battery doesnt sit flush with the casing anymore, one corner sticks out a bit. It also rocks when placed on a level surface. The computer works, though. I'm using it right now.

So, I am going to attempt to bend things back into place, if I can. I would appreciate and constructive advice or experience. Thanks.
  2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    The technician at work has bent back Powerbook cases on a number of occasions. It's not all that difficult, though the way you describe it, both the top and bottom cases are affected, which makes life difficult. Remove the bottom case, and bang out the dent with a ballpene hammer. It's not that complicated. Removing the case itself is a bigger job than fixing the dents. Removing the top case requires much more work, and the screws are in dumb places on the 12" Powerbook, and you need to remove many more components. You may want to have a technician do the work if you're uncomfortable removing the better part of the internal workings of the machine.
  3. frugme thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2004
    Thanks. The top half of the case actually seems straight and ok. It's just the bottom case. I took apart my old Dell laptop before, but it was quite a chore. I could probably do it, but it does make me nervous. :)
  4. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    If you are going to take apart your powerbook get the service manual!!!
    You can get it here: