Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timspr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I am about to buy an iphone 5. I use my phones preferably for a year of three. After reading the user reviews, I'm a little concerned about the construction around the volume buttons.

On the forums I read some cases of bend iPhones, but are these rare cases? Or are these just some faulty product cases that stand on it's own that are written negative?

Thanks in advance for your experiences!

Last edited:

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I'd say its super rare. This forum is actually the only place I have heard of an iPhone "bending"..
I'm not doubting anyone, I've seen the videos. I just think its very rare. The phones maybe even came that way and the person didn't notice, who knows.
I'm picking up a 5 tomorrow and honestly bending it is the last thing I'm worried about.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
I'd say its super rare. This forum is actually the only place I have heard of an iPhone "bending"..
I'm not doubting anyone, I've seen the videos. I just think its very rare. The phones maybe even came that way and the person didn't notice, who knows.
I'm picking up a 5 tomorrow and honestly bending it is the last thing I'm worried about.

Happens all the time. I wouldn't get one if I were you.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Happens all the time. I wouldn't get one if I were you.

Define all the time. If you mean probably less than 50 reported cases on these forums, then yes, it happens all the time. Because we all know that people on here represent the majority of iPhone users.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
If you bend a phone, you are being careless, simple as that. Buy it, enjoy it! It's a great phone!

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
I think there are rare cases where this is happening, such as putting the phone in your pocket with the lightning port facing down, where the upper area of the phone (the weaker point, where bending seems to start) might sustain too much pressure from the bending of your upper thigh and your hip in conjuction with being held tightly by the pants/pocket you are wearing.

Stand up and put a folded piece of paper in your pocket, then sit down.

I think the further the phone sits down in your pocket, the better.

Timspr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
THanks everybody for replying! I never use a phone in my back pocket. I have deep front pockets and try to wear it as much in my chest pocket.

I suppose there is always something to find negative on the internet. I will take my chances an order one!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
THanks everybody for replying! I never use a phone in my back pocket. I have deep front pockets and try to wear it as much in my chest pocket.

I suppose there is always something to find negative on the internet. I will take my chances an order one!

I too wear mine in my chest pocket. It's obvious that using the back pocket isn't the most intelligent thing to do!

As far as negative comments are concerned, some people just love to complain about the most trivial of things - their comments are best taken with a large pinch of the proverbial salt! :)

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
I'm 6'8" tall, size 17 feet, weigh 350. I'm a very big, heavy guy. I keep my 5 in my shorts pockets all day every day. There have been times I was laying around and felt my body putting pressure on the phone, a lot more than most people's body could, no bending, yet.

Granted, I'd never wear "skinny jeans", mostly to save innocent onlookers' sight. :)

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Easily bent do to the use of non-tempered 6061 aluminum.

Dude--Give it a REST!!! Why are you here???

You know this statement is pure, 100% Grade A Bull-Shizzle right? Another thread, another mis-statement and complete false hood...As I said in the 'other' thread---why don't you wait a bit before responding with such falsehoods. You've just recently become a member. Do some reading, some learning---figure out comprehension...then give it a go

You're batting .000 at this point

To the OP---we've now got 7 iPhone 5s in the company---all of us are moving big sound equipment 4-5 days a week--we all carry them on us constantly, slamming into 200lb. subs and amp racks...they don't bend unless you TRY to bend it in a way the phone isn't meant to---say with both hands over an anvil;)

You've got absolutely NOTHING to worry about---grab it, enjoy it, take care of it and you'll enjoy it for a long, long time!

J

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
It's extremely rare that you will get a iPhone 5 which bends. If by chance you do get one, you can always exchange it for another one. However, you probably won't have to worry about it.

Timspr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks guys for the insight! I will be heading over to the apple store tomorrow!:D

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
This bend problem is largely fabricated. Some of the threads about it on this website are almost as ridiculous as the wannabe metalurgists and engineers around here, regurgitating their untempered 6061 aluminum BS. Which is really just frickin' speculation to boot. And we're talking about a phone, not an Airbus :rolleyes:

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
The bending issue is rare. Probably from being sat on or something.

I have to iphone 5's, neither are bent, chipped, scratched. Both in flawless condition.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
6061 non-tempered AI has a hardness of 30-33 on the Brinell scale. T6 6061 which is tempered has a measurement in the high 80's, close to 3X the hardness. The choice of non-tempered aluminum coupled with the thickness at which it was milled to, are what is contributing to the bending.

Last edited by a moderator:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
6061 non-tempered AI has a hardness of 30-33 on the Brinell scale. T6 6061 which is tempered has a measurement in the high 80's, close to 3X the hardness. The choice of non-tempered aluminum coupled with the thickness at which it was milled to, are what is contributing to the bending.

akdj, might want to sew that pie hole up when you don't know what you are talking about. :D

And show me where you found out that it's non-tempered aluminum.

cpc12

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
Valy

You need to get outside this forum.

It is a isolated issue. Millions of people have this phone and have 0 issues. Me being one of them

Don't be a hater.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Thanks guys for the insight! I will be heading over to the apple store tomorrow!:D

I've had mine for a month and it's not bent at all. I only wear skinny/form fitting jeans and place it the front. The outline/bulge is noticeable. Sometimes, I put it in my back pocket, but when I sit down, I usually just move the position of the position so that I won't be directly sitting on it.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

akdj, might want to sew that pie hole up when you don't know what you are talking about. :D

I really don't understand why you're in Mac rumors. Do you even own a iPhone 5? Or an iPhone for that matter? How about a Apple product in general? The $10 gift card card you where given doesn't count.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Saying "I have a 5 and its not bent, therefore the problem does not exist" has as much validity as "my 5 is bent, therefore all phones will bend".

It's taller, thinner and made from weaker materials. Will it bend on you? You'll have to decide if you will put those kinds of stresses on the 5 and just how careful you're willing to be with it.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The one seriously damaged/bent phone I have seen was replaced instantly by Apple, according to the fellow that owned it. That was months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.