Benefit of converting ID3 tags?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by AppleMatt, Dec 19, 2003.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I have some weird desperate need for everything to be at the latest version, so today I selected my whole iTunes library and converted the ID3 tags to v2.4;

Advanced > Convert ID3 Tags...

My question is, what's the benefit of doing that? Or is it just "different?"

AppleMatt

2. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

i'm doing it too...

i think it probably adds more spaces for entry, not sure though.

3. zellin macrumors regular

That selection is grayed out for me, even when I am selecting something. Might it be that all mine are in the AAC?

4. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Possibly. In iTunes right-click on a file, and choose "Get Info". You should be presented with a list of file attributes, the first of which will be "Type:", either "MPEG Audio File" or "AAC Audio File".

Then you'll know :)

AppleMatt

5. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

i think zellin already knows that all his files are AAC, he just wants to know if that is the resaon for him not being able to convert his ID3 tags.

6. Winston Smith macrumors regular

ID3 tags are a resorce of MP3 files.
    Mine are all kept at version 1 so that they can be read by the autochanger in the car.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Later versions of ID3 tags allow you to store more information. More fields, more options within some of the pop-up fields, and in some cases longer fields.

I remember I had some songs with version... 1.x I think... tags, and I couldn't put the full album title in until I converted them to a newer version.