Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
what do you guys think the benefit of having a dual lens camera with 2 lenses possibly be on the upcoming iPhone Plus 7 or on the IPhone 7 "Pro"?

It surely is a rumor but if it is true, what benefit could it add to taking photos with a dual lens camera?

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Really it remains to be seen how Apple with implement the technology. For one, it should lead to better low light photos. If both sensors capture color differently yet simultaneously, it could lead to brighter and more detailed photos. There is also talk that actual true zooming capabilities would be possible although I would not expect it to be ground breaking (yet). A lot will depend on how software interacts with post processing as well. Will we be given control over depth perception with two simultaneous captures? Will one capture wide angle and the other regular for merging? A lot remains to be seen and we should only have 3 or so more weeks to find out.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
If it's not for an optical zoom effect, then they shouldn't bother.

If it is, they'll have a killer camera.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I would agree with the low light photography suggestion. Right now you have the HDR feature on the camera, where the unit takes two photos in quick succession, one underlit and the other over lit, and then combines them to give you a very good shot. Just think what would happen if both shots where taken simultaneously and combined.

I started a thread a couple of months ago about the possibility of 3D photos and videos but since then I think the lenses are too close together for that to work. At one time there were asseccories available which would allow you to mount two 21/4 X 21/4 inch cameras side by side at a fixed distance and take photos that when printed on a hard card and viewed through a stero optocon view gave you a 3D effect. Later there was a 35mm camera with two lenses on it that did the same thing. However, the lenses were much farther away then what the rumor photos are showing.

Of course using an algorithm may allow the photo app to do the same thing.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
3d photography, so you can change focus after the photo has been taken. It's one of my biggest hopes. I did a lot of research of this previously.

Also better low light photography is a plus.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
3d photography, so you can change focus after the photo has been taken. It's one of my biggest hopes. I did a lot of research of this previously.

Also better low light photography is a plus.

That would be absolutely mind blowing if that will be a feature on the iphone 7 plus/pro, i am not a fan of the 5.5 inch screen size personally, i have the smaller iphone 6s at the moment as well, however, if the new iphone 7 only has the dual camera in the 5.5 inch size(which it will most certainly will just like the iphone 6 plus is the only model that the optical image stabilization)

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Something was bugging me about your question, then it hit me. Actually it's a duel camera system.

Duel lense made me think of a single chip with rotary lense assembly in front of chip. My DSLR is a multi lense camera. This is like having two cameras mounted on a rod next to each other taking simultaneous pictures.

The cameras could be two different focal lengths. Or one could be black and white for low light, other color. Wonder if HDR would now be four pictures combined? This will be interesting camera development. I've read different articles, ranging from improved low light level, to much improved zoom capabilities.

For good 3D effects I would think further seperation of cameras would be beneficial. Perhaps one each corner, maybe in landscape mode. Hey, would force people to take pictures in landscape mode. Hehehe.

In astronomy great strides are being made using an array of smaller telescopes. Both in optical radio astronomy. Seems you can use programs to combine multiple images providing same or better results than a single larger lense or antenna.

iPhone 15 could have a dozen cameras on back, provide better pictures than DSLR. But how would you hold it?

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
3d photography is another potential possibility.
I am skeptical of that, because it would mean you could to only 3d in portrait mode..... and would not be able to see them in 3d unless they add 3d screen as well.

Refocus and better hdr are my bet!

Last edited:
Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am skeptical of that, pecause it would mean you could to only 3d in portrait mode..... and would not be able to see them in 3d unless they add 3d screen as well.

Refocus and better hdr are my bet!
I'm skeptical and don't expect it at all. I was just throwing it out into the ether so to speak.

HTC did a 3D camera (I do believe it was limited to landscape) and nobody cared. The phone wasn't bad for what it was though.

DarkExistence

Suspended
Aug 11, 2016
Hopefully they will do something similar to lg with a wide angle and normal lens. I find that very useful

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
On the topic of low light photography, I would love them to add timed exposure functionality to the mix. Maybe not as a major feature, but at least as an option.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Like other people have said, it will greatly increase low light but also the images will be sharper because the two images are combined to create 1. But it will depend on how Apple implement it.

I remember reading about a patent that Apple holds, that when an image is taken with a dual camera (the image showed a dog) both up close and further away, it will allow the user to zoom into the image without too much distortion.

There was also another where once the image has been taken, the user can focus on different objects (it showed a man sitting on a step and the back was out of focus but then it was brought back into focus when the user moved the slider). I'm not sure if Apple will put these into the new iPhone, but it will be very interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: coachingguy

JustMadeThisNameUp

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2015
Like other people have said, it will greatly increase low light but also the images will be sharper because the two images are combined to create 1. But it will depend on how Apple implement it.

I remember reading about a patent that Apple holds, that when an image is taken with a dual camera (the image showed a dog) both up close and further away, it will allow the user to zoom into the image without too much distortion.

There was also another where once the image has been taken, the user can focus on different objects (it showed a man sitting on a step and the back was out of focus but then it was brought back into focus when the user moved the slider). I'm not sure if Apple will put these into the new iPhone, but it will be very interesting to see what happens.

There seems to be a lot of possibilities but Apple could possibly make new functions in the camera app that are exclusive to the 7 Plus model. There could be a special picture/video mode that will let you record video while taking good pictures that are more than just screenshots like we get now. A special depth of field (DSLR) mode, or a special low light mode. Not sure but I'm looking forward to it. I've been very content with my iPhone 6s Plus until I remember the dual lens system and I just want September to get here so I can upgrade.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
There seems to be a lot of possibilities but Apple could possibly make new functions in the camera app that are exclusive to the 7 Plus model. There could be a special picture/video mode that will let you record video while taking good pictures that are more than just screenshots like we get now. A special depth of field (DSLR) mode, or a special low light mode. Not sure but I'm looking forward to it. I've been very content with my iPhone 6s Plus until I remember the dual lens system and I just want September to get here so I can upgrade.

I have a feeling that Apple will put their own spin on things, it's what they usually do, also they don't do something unless they can get it right! that's why I'm looking forward to seeing what Apple has in store for the dual lens camera. Also i think there will be big upgrades in the 4.7" iPhone 7, the camera cut out looks much bigger than on the 6 and 6s. i'm using a 6 Plus, so I'm excited to be upgrading because i'll be jumping up 2 generations.

Reactions: JustMadeThisNameUp

JustMadeThisNameUp

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2015
I have a feeling that Apple will put their own spin on things, it's what they usually do, also they don't do something unless they can get it right! that's why I'm looking forward to seeing what Apple has in store for the dual lens camera. Also i think there will be big upgrades in the 4.7" iPhone 7, the camera cut out looks much bigger than on the 6 and 6s. i'm using a 6 Plus, so I'm excited to be upgrading because i'll be jumping up 2 generations.

Absolutely, the iPhone 7 looks like it'll come with a bigger sensor and I'm certain it'll have optical image stabilization.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Absolutely, the iPhone 7 looks like it'll come with a bigger sensor and I'm certain it'll have optical image stabilization.

I think that Apple will make the 7 and 7 Plus much better in low light, they wont want to be upstaged by Samsung who are claiming that their phones beat the 6s in low light.

I think even tho there is no massive redesign this year, the buggiest feature will be the cameras, we will have to see what Apple does with the dual lens, there are so many possibilities. Also a 3D Touch Homebutton will be nice in my opinion.

ralpha1961

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2016
Apple may have a dual cameras because they are gearing up for compressive light field display. In other words 3D without glasses. Apple has been toying with 3D with the home screen. Moving it around allowed a simulation of 3D. Now with this new technology, not only can you move pictures up, down, left and right but there will be a field of depth. Allowing focus near and far. Requirements for this would be cameras for different focal lengths. I believe the two cameras will take a near and far view focus and a possible third shot. Both cameras at once. Now to get depth there needs to be a software algorithm To make this happen, it will have to viewed with a special screen. A multilayered screen. OLED makes this possible. This a variant of light field display called Tensor.
Personally I do not think Apple will have a fully functioning 3D if they use LCD. This may come next year. One has to ask, what is the purpose for a gimmick like this? Uses may include reading text and seeing images without reading glasses.
Theaters can benefit from this with large screens where half the audience on one side will see the villain before the other half. Creating an atmosphere of anxiety while the other side is wondering what is happening because they can not see the villain yet.
Will this be the "OMG!" factor to stimulate iPhone sales and dump the older phones?

Tensor Display

Compressive light field display

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Very much doubt it.

It'll be a full colour camera and a monochrome to improve depth of field.

Reactions: baypharm

ralpha1961

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2016
Very much doubt it.

It'll be a full colour camera and a monochrome to improve depth of field.

Probably so. The images are sharper and clearer, especially night shots. But whom ever comes up with compressive light field display first will be the leader. The technology is there. Apple needs this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.