Benefits of being a poor college student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yippy, Oct 8, 2005.

1. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The attached screenshot is from my universities web store. I don't need the latest an greatest but I really like having it. Also, I mostly only use iPhoto and iTunes from the iLife and probably wouldn't use iWork much except for writing papers and the occasional card or keynote.

Given that, can anyone think of any reason NOT to click the order button (not shown).

Attached Files:

• AMP.jpg
      AMP.jpg
      File size:
      71 KB
      Views:
  2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

So basically you get to download any upgrades to the things listed until september 2008?
    Sounds like a deal. I don't get what this tiger maintanence thing is.. Explain?

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I would take that offer. I wish I had something like that but I am not a college student yet.

4. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

Yes that is it, I get to download any updates (including pay ones) for iLife, iWork and Mac OS with that order from now until the end of 2008.

5. achie25 macrumors 6502

sounds like a good deal. where are you a student at?

6. therevolution macrumors 6502

Going by the email addresses in the screenshot, it looks like University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign.

That's a cool deal - I've never seen anything like that. I'm guessing that the school funds a good part of it.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

is this your school only or is it part of the academic pricing.

8. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Wow... I wish I could get that great of an offer... :(

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Well, are you going to be a student until 2008? If so, it's good. If you're in your last year or something it's not that great unless it applies even after you've left the college.

10. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

pretty good deal! i love being a college student cause we get hooked up with stuff :D

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

[grumble]I'm a college student and I don't get deals like that...[/grumble]

12. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

The only reason I can think of for NOT clicking is that I would be insanely jealous and start thinking mean things about Illinois.

The only "AMP" deals I could find at my university was for a 10+ license for Tiger ($207). But the updates are sent to the university. :mad:

Enjoy! :p

13. Chasealicious macrumors member

Chasealicious

All of a sudden, my lovely palmetto state and the University of South Carolina seem rather...well...damn, I'm jealous.

14. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

I get rights even after I graduate. It turns out that you have to own iWork first to get the upgrades, but that is reasonable so I got it.

If you think that is good, I know Purdue offers their students Office for $5 and I think Tiger for $10 :eek:

15. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

True, but the licensing for that is trickier than it seems. Technically speaking, the $5 is getting you just the media for most Microsoft products, and the license is separate. As a student, it's fine because the University has a site license, but outside of the university environment, it's technically not a valid license. This is based on a few Purdue-affiliated friends of mine.

It's still a good deal and a good idea, and I wish the University of California would negotiate better software terms (educational discounts there are comically small from the big vendors).