Benefits of extra memory?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by adriantoll, Oct 11, 2004.

1. adriantoll macrumors member

I was doing some audio editing tonight, and found that my 17" PowerBook was chugging a bit, converting from AAC to AIFF. I've got 1Gb of RAM at the moment, as 1 SO-DIMM, so I can theoretically just buy another 1Gb of RAM and drop it in. But is it really worth it for £200+? Will I actually notice seriously better performance?

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

The performance will not be as big as it would be from lets say, 512 to 1gig. It might make a difference on a dual Power Mac. But on a Powerbook, I doubt it would make a difference that is worth the price.

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

That should be enough RAM - I'm surprised that it's "chugging" :p. I don't think that an extra gig is worth the money though, you really should have enough.

JOD8FY

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Go to Terminal and type in vm_stat

Look at pageouts... is it a big number?

Should be done after a normal session of use -- after a reboot (probably without sleeping).

Unless you have a high pageout number, you're most likely not resorting to having to use the VM Manager to much.

---

Unless your seriously getting slammed by the VM Manager at a HD's 50MB/s bandwidth, then the boost you'd get by real memory's 1GB/s bandwidth (sustained G4) won't be there -- just something you may use every now and then.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Was going to recommend the vm_stat as well, but Sun Baked beat me to it. In general, you can never have too much RAM, but with 1 GB in there already, you shouldn't be having too many issues doing what you're doing - it's not like you're doing 3D rendering and all that.

I always like recommending more memory to people since it's usually worth it and makes a noticeable difference, but a 17" PB with 1 GB RAM should be pretty fast as it is, so I'm not sure if there's another issue to cause your machine to chug... :confused:

6. adriantoll thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies. Perhaps I'm just expecting too much! It doesn't seem to be having problems with anything else really, so I guess it's not worth the extra cash. I'll see how it goes...

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, in your situation I would advise against getting the extra RAM – it’s not like you’re struggling with only 256 MB or 512 MB! Keep at it, but if problems persist, you may want to investigate further – perhaps it isn’t solely your RAM’s fault, for whatever reason...

8. acceber macrumors regular

I've got an iBook with 256 ram. How do i know if the pageout number if "high"? What's the guidelines?