Benefits of Ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Omad0n, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Omad0n macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, so before I get into this, let it be known that I've already ordereed 1gig of ram extra for my new powerbook and it should be here sometime this week. Now that that's out of the way, can anyone tell me waht specifically is the advantage to more ram? I did a search and couldn't find any specifics (maybe I wasn't using the right search terms) I mean we all know that we're supposed to, but what does the adding of ram actually do? Also how come some ram is better than others? If this is in the wrong section I'm sorry, and thanks for your time.
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    It will help you run many programs at once, and run them more quickly, to put it simply. :)

What case did you order?
  3. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    In very non-tech terms (since I'm not techy), it means that your computer doesn't have to access Virtual Memory as much. Virtual memory means that your computer is using part of the free space on your HD to swap memory in and out. Particularly on a laptop, the HD access times aren't the fastest so the more you can cut down on the OS having to go to the hard drive for memory to do basic tasks, the faster the machine will run.

RAM is RAM but some manufacturers have higher tolerances than others on their specs. Something that is x% off perfect might be sold as OK for one company but not for another. It may use more or less power than another chip. The connectors may have a finer layer of metal so they wear faster if they are swapped out regularly.