Benq & Mini Problem ????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chewedpen, Apr 24, 2005.

1. chewedpen macrumors member

chewedpen

I just bought a Benq FP737s-D and am using a Startech Single Link DVI-D cable to connect it to my mac mini.

I am having a problem running this display at 1280x1024 @ 75Hz. I seem to be getting horizontal lines through the display. I don't seem to get much static on the 60Hz setting, maybe this display just does not support 75hz ?

I am not sure what to think yet, I also am having a problem with the display not switching and showing a picture at times when it is set to 1280x1024 @ 75Hz.

Any ideas on what I should try ???

Thanks

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Simple: on LCD's of any brand, the refresh rate should be set at 60 Hz.

LCD's don't "refresh" like CRTs do. On a CRT, the guns scan down the screen in a zigzag pattern, and excite the phosphors, which glow and then immediately start to fade. The gun has to return to fire the phosphor again quickly, so it doesn't fade to black, so it scans the lines again every 1/60th to 1/85th of a second. Problem with 60 Hz refresh on a CRT, is it "strobes" against the 60 Hz pulse of room lights, which can be really annoying.

LCD's are different. The transistors behind each pixel keep the pixel on for as long as is needed. The pixel only "refreshes" when the scene changes. Therefore there is no "strobing" effect with room lighting, and no need to go above 60 Hz in "refresh rate".

Other than that, how do you like the Benq monitor? I gave my daughter a Mini yesterday (got tired of de-virusing and de-spying their WinBox). She is looking at the Benq or the Acer; the Benq has DVI but only 500:1 contrast, the Acer has VGA only but a better 800:1 contrast.

3. chewedpen thread starter macrumors member

chewedpen

So i guess I dont really have a problem then ???
    Why would I get listings for higher refresh rates listed in the display tab then ???

Thanks

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No problems.

The extra frequencies come no extra charge to give you this value-added and entertaining learning opportunity.

Say "thank you, Apple". :D

5. chewedpen thread starter macrumors member

chewedpen

I think its great the picture is sharp and bright. Its beautiful !!!!
    I got it from www.MemoryExpress.com I am not sure where you are in canada but I live in edmonton and the store here has a $50 rebate also so it was $294 after the rebate. Which I thought was a great deal for a LCD that has a DVI input and does 1280x1024. It does not come with a DVI cable though.

Thanks for all the info.

:)

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Staples has it on the shelf for CAN$299 (with instant rebate) which is cheaper than I can get it wholesale. A rip about the DVI Cable, but at least I have a good supplier for those.

The only debate is whether she wants the 19" VGA only Acer 1913 at $399 instead, she finds the 17" a little small at 1280 x 1024.