BenQ uses 9/11 for advertising campaign.. caution sensitive image

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bern, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

How tasteless for BenQ to use 9/11 for their newest advertising campaign. It seems these days people will go to any lengths to make a buck.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Attached Files:

2. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

If that is WTC in the background, then yah, that's pretty poor taste. But are they selling that in Saudi Arabia or in NYC?

Also, how did you know that was WTC and not some random ruined building?

3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Is that definitely the WTC behind him?

If it is, yes it's very tasteless.

If it is not, then it's still a really awful advert.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

5. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

That's definitely the WTC in the background.

What absolute scumbags! Is nothing sacred to marketing people?

6. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

Yes that is the WTC in the background, it's the image we saw the world over.

7. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

do some research before you start pointing fingers...

http://www.benq.com.cn/musiq/

Its obviously not 9/11, you need to get over it theres worse things going on on this planet. This sort of advertisement at least creates awareness, you should look at some other things with a critical perspective and not just 9/11.

8. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

This is an OUTRAGE.

How DARE they.

Have they NO sense of decency at all?

How on EARTH could they spell "believe" wrong?

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Obviously not? If not the real thing, then close enough to confuse people, which is also in bad taste. Perhaps, they'll have other things in future advertisements that deal with mimicking World War II. Would that also be okay?

What kind of awareness does an mp3 player require?

10. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

It is obviously not, it's not even close to the pictures we saw and I can guarantee you it's not meant to confuse. If this advertisement was meant to be interpreted the way you interpret it, it would be bad taste. But the fact is it's not. What is bad taste is the Hollywood reproductions of the events of 9/11 which are based on little or even no facts, these are fundamentally only about money and serve to strengthen American nationalistic feelings.

11. angelneo macrumors 68000

The translation is obviously wrong and it is not WTC.

12. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Looks like the WTC building, to me. How many destroyed buildings have that unique design?

world-trade-center-06.jpg

13. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ugg, there's a similar rant going on at engadget right now over this ad. Personally I think everyone needs to chill the **** out.

Even if it is the WTC (which I agree, it does look like it is) you need to remember that these ads never ran in the US. And like it or not, different countries have different values.

Let's put a spin on this, is running an ad in Asia that features 9-11 wreckage more or less sensitive then making/playing a WWII game in which you play on the beaches of normandy?

I think people in the western world (I'll include Canada in this as well) need to remember that 9-11 isn't the only tragedy in the world. And the fact of the matter is we make light of tragedy all the time or worse yet, we outright ignore it. So please, in the words of Scott Adams, stop being offended for "other people"

*EDIT*

Just to add gasoline to this debate, YES, it is WTC Wreckage, my source photo is from google and it's called Resurrection Within. It doesn't appear to be exactly the same photo, but it's definitely the same piece of WTC.

However, before you start your boycott of Benq you need to once again remember, this ad never ran in the US. And it's entirely possible that this ended up in the ad as the result of one graphic designer who simple did a google search for "wreckage" and didn't even clue in to what the wreckage was. I really, really doubt Benq was sitting around one day "how can we market our mp3 player in the most offensive way possible? Dead babies? no that's too far. Ooh dead americans! that'll get our mp3 player flying off the shelves!"

Anyways here's the proof of it being WTC.

Attached Files:

• 911.jpg
      911.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
  14. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

You are correct, that design is most certainly that of ground zero and anyone who looks at that and actual pictures of the WTC before and after cannot honestly deny they look different. That is shameful, but since it's not an American ad, you can't exactly blame them. Well i mean you can but it's not the tastelevel deficit of American companies, especially since most of the world hates America to begin with :eek:

I don't get it though, what's the ad campaign mean? Buy this mp3 player, if you're stuck in a big wreckage you can still keep your hair perfectly styled and groove to your music as you step over the death and destruction?!?!

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What led you to believe marketing people thought anything was sacred? This is an industry which sees 'exploit' as a virtue.

16. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ding ding ding, we have a winner:

[​IMG]

Flip, adjust the color/levels, do some scaling and bingo! we have a background fit to offend!

once again folks, this ad was never intended for our eyes in the west, so please, chill out.

17. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think the image was picked out by the agency thinking that no one in china would recognize it, probably some lazy designer or something. Reading the message on the actual image, no reference was made to the incident, it was just an generic reference to the end of the world. so I think everyone should just take it easy.

18. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

I DON'T CARE - it is insensitive to no end. Any and all companies need to be carefull when developing advertising campaigns. Honest mistakes happen and need to be corrected. Deliberate 'mistakes' should be treated a little differently and corrected none-the-less

In Oz there was a telephone commercial featuring a young girl being swept away in a flood with a comment about 'not getting a signal' or 'bad reception' or something like that.

The footage was from the US and it just so happens that the girl drowned and the family by chance saw the tv commercial and were utterly devestated.

So the excuse 'wasn't meant to be seen in the US' makes it acceptable in this instance too? The add was immediately pulled by-the-way

I am sure there are other examples and would like to hear what people have seen or heard about.

19. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

liberate-your-music.jpg

What if Apple ran an ad like this in the US?

Do you think the Chinese would be offended?

What would you think of Apple, as a company?

Do you think this is in good taste?

What values other than decency, proper respect and solemnity are you talking about?

no bunches of luv for you!

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apparently, it is, according to other posts here.

I agree that Hollywood spends tonnes of money to satisfy poor taste, especially when they do pseudo documentary films.

However, I've sent the link to a number of people in Malaysia and Singapore who would have the chance to purchase BenQ products and who do read Chinese. I'd like to see what they have to say about it.

21. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Mainly that the rest of the planet has horrible tragedies too, and that not every country was devastated by 911 in the way North America was.

And to those of you who feel every ad run in every country has to be sensitive to everyone on the planet...well come on, that's just not realistic.

I honestly don't think Benq or anyone working on this ad had any idea how powerful 911 images are over here. Just as we have images here that are deeply offensive to other cultures.

And come to think of it I've actually seen tiananmen square images used in advertising before.

Is using this image anymore offensive than using Ghandi to sell computers?

[​IMG]

Or rage against the machine using Thich Quang duc on an album cover?

[​IMG]

To us, probably not. But I'm pretty sure these people are pretty powerful images in other cultures besides our own.

I think companies need to be sensitive to the markets they are advertising in, not to the entire planet because then we'll have nothing but blank pages with company logos. Although I'm pretty offended by logos, we'd best just go with a simple serif font.:rolleyes:

Had this had been running the US than yes, it's a horrible use of the image and the company should have known better. But giving the market, and the likely hood that he graphic artist had no idea what the image was I think we all need to give Benq the benefit of the doubt here.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Everyone in America has a problem with this ad, but when it comes to profiting off 9/11 with movies like United 93, Path to 9/11, or the people cashing in on blind patriotism by selling flags, bumper stickers, ribbons and all sorts of other crap, people have no problem with it. I'm not saying that this ad isn't tasteless, but everyone else has cashed in on 9/11, so why is everyone so upset over BenQ doing it?

23. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

because they forgot the american flags and bald eagles :rolleyes:

24. wildmac macrumors 65816

What I find annoying here is that because someone feels offended, they assume everyone else must be offended.

If you feel offended (and I do) then you can boycott or whatever, but don't expect everyone else to be offended. After all, the Palastinians rejoiced at 9/11.

So, if you are offended, then boycott, write a letter or email, do your thing. It's your right to do so.

If you're not offended, that's fine too, just remember that when someone else steps or your sacred cow.

Me?.. I'm going to write an email to BenQ.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

lol. They also forgot "God Bless America" and "Freedom Isn't Free" :D