Bent iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DerfBWH, Oct 1, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

My new iPhone 5s, which has been in a case since I walked out of the Apple Store with it on launch morning, is ever so slightly bent. It's incredibly minor, but noticeable to a discerning eye.

Never been used out of the case other than for the purpose of this video. Never been dropped. Never been in a back pocket. Never been sat on.

Video evidence: http://vimeo.com/75929528
    You can see that when I apply pressure to the bottom of the iPhone, the top half lifts slightly from the table. I compared this with a friend of mine's 6 month old iPhone 5 which does not exhibit this.

2. macrumors 68000

yanki01

haha, made me chuckle.

3. macrumors member

4. thread starter macrumors regular

I've been an Apple owner for over 10 years and have had an original iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S all without issue. I'm a dedicated Apple customer and hope that they can help me; I have no reason to lie about this.

5. macrumors 68000

yanki01

easy chief, see the bold which made me chuckle. there's another thread about someone sitting on their iPhone and demanding it be replaced which made me think of it.

can it be the table you have it on? just a suggestion to try it elsewhere.

6. macrumors 603

Carlanga

7. macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Are you serious? What did you do about it?

8. macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

No sense in being dedicated to a company that only sees you as a means to more money..

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I think she was talking about the baseball game that was going on. Some sort of post-season game, I'm personally not a fan and don't pay much attention. :p

10. macrumors newbie

Mine too

I noticed my first 16gig Space Gray 5S was bent right out of the box! Had that one replaced same day only to get a slightly less bent one.

Putting light pressure on the top part of my phone on a flat surface lifts the bottom of the phone about 1 millimeter or so. Apple tech explained they don't know what is causing the issue but have seen a few reports at the store level of this happening.

Decided I will continue to use this device unless the bend gets worse, but it does not lay flat as my Black iPhone 5 does :confused:

Also had a co-worker test his wife's Space Gray 5S and same issue so seems to be common.

11. macrumors 6502a

I don't know if it's more noticeable in person, but based on the video, that is so very minor...

12. macrumors member

That's unfortunate. If it really bothers you I'd request a replacement from Apple. I received multiple faulty MBPs (although minor, my trackpad creaking audibly when touched/scratch in AG film/etc. is not deserving of $2600) and they completely understood every time and swapped it out for a new one.

13. macrumors member

I have nightmares where I bend or crack my phone. How sad is that?

14. macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

I have seen many like this. It's from production. Without it's internals and screen adding sheer, the aluminum is easily bent. You can bend it back by putting the phone out of a case on a hard flat clean surface, put a facecloth or light thin towel under, then take a large heavy text book and push evenly on the phone. It will bend back to shape.

15. macrumors member

I was going to return it to best buy but thinking about how long I might have to wait for a new one I just kept it. It's insured anyway.

16. macrumors 65816

You phone can get bent even in your front pocket.

My fiends 5 got bent badly in his front pocket. The can and do bend:(

17. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Don't blame the pocket. The iPhone will NEVER bend from being in any pocket.

18. macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

What kind of pants is your friend wearing :D , it is impossible to bend a phone in front pocket :D

19. KLF
    macrumors newbie

I think someone promised her that she would feel better soon.

20. macrumors 65816

Funny how some people make comments that are not true.

His pants were loose, phone in front pocket. Phone was between his leg and the table edge he slightly bumped and it was at the level where it bent the phone right at the volume button. This "bending" can happen many ways as the 5 and 5S is weak and if hit just right can and DID bend. :p

Apple is only giving us what they think we are demanding and that is thinner and lighter. At the same time they increased the length which makes it even more vulnerable to this stress