Bent PBG4 LCD frame (!)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by RedMacMan, Jan 7, 2004.

1. RedMacMan macrumors member

So, after watching a DVD in bed the other night, I accidentally nudged my new Powerbook G4 15inch 1.25Ghz off the bed. In the short drop to the floor, the power adapter terminal was bent out of shape (I've already got a new one) and the lower left corner of the LCD frame was bent in towards the body.

The computer still works, but the bent frame is putting slight pressure on the LCD in the corner, resulting in some distortion similar to when you touch the LCD with your finger. I'm going to take it to a nearby Apple Store for some advice, but has anyone had and repaired a similar problem? Replacing the entire display would be VERY expensive. I'm hoping a tech can just bend the frame back into shape. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Re: Bent PBG4 LCD frame (!)

My only thought is: Dont frikkin drop your powerbook.

I've owned a laptop of some kind for 4 years and have never dropped them, spilled anything on them, banged them, etc. Yeah, Im a bit anal about it, but I usually re-sell my laptops for newer versions, and can usually get about 65-70% of what I paid for it, mainly because they are in mint condition. And Ive lugged them everywhere--trick is to have a non-fabric case (hard case) and be very careful with them.

Bummer dude, but be more careful. Oh, and as long as the LCD isnt damaged, they oughta be able to mend it a bit, but it probably will never be the same.

3. RedMacMan thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I admit it was pretty stupid. Just goes to show you you shouldn't have both a woman and a powerbook in your bed at the same time. Both require a very large amount of attention and extreme care in handling. ;)

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yeah........(wicked smile)

Last time I watched a DVD in bed with my wife we.....well, never mind.

Maybe invest in a TV for your bedroom instead of using the Powerbook?

5. InsiderTravels macrumors member

InsiderTravels

Just needs new plastics

As long as everything else works fine, they should be able to fix the frame with no problem.

Apparently there have been some latch problems with the albooks, and somehow my case got all bent up (it wouldn't sit flat on a table or latch closed). The machine was less than 2 months old. There were no dents (which proved I hadn't thrown it across the room) and the LCD was fine. I even ran hardware checks to make sure that the pressure on the latch hadn't caused anything bizarre to happen inside the case.

The guy on the phone at Apple told me that sometimes somebody screws in a screw too tight when putting the machine together or doesn't get something on quite straight. He said that can cause the case to get bent spontaneously even if nothing happened to the machine that should have caused damage like that.

Anyway, I sent it in for repair and they put my LCD and all the machine's innards inside a brand new case, and now it's as good as new.

So, as long as everything inside the machine is still in the same condition, they should be able to just put your machine into a new aluminum case.

Hope this helps, even though the situation is somewhat different.
    :)

6. RedMacMan thread starter macrumors member

Wow thanks for your detailed post. I agree that would be ideal, though I imagine a whole new case wouldn't be cheap either.

I think the lesson here is not to mix Powerbooks, Women, Alcohol, Beds and DVDs all at the same time. I'll have to keep that in mind next time... ;)

7. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

the laptop maybe, the woman? in bed, NAH!:D :D :D

8. InsiderTravels macrumors member

InsiderTravels

You can find the repair chart at Apple's website. I don't remember the exact URL, but there's a graduated chart with different levels for different things.

This repair probably falls under the category that includes "plastics, CD-ROM, etc." If I remember correctly, it's like $200 or somewhere in that neighborhood for that level.

However, the guy also told me that it's not always the maximum you get stuck paying--that's just the maximum you'd pay if all the things listed under that category needed replaced.

Let's say there's nothing wrong with your optical drive or any of the other things on the list. Then, you'd only pay for the plastics (which is what they said the case is), so it would most likely be cheaper.

You'll have to check it out for yourself, though, because since my repair was under warranty, I didn't pay anything--so I can't give you an exact amount that replacing the plastics would cost.

9. RedMacMan thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, you were right. I found the page easily enough:

http://www.info.apple.com/support/applecare_products/service/powerbook_service.html

So at a bare minimum my little make-out accident is gonna cost me $323.95. But more likely is this will fall into Tier 2 since it's a case issue and may require parts. And let's just pray they don't classify this as a Tier 4 LCD repair. I figure it shouldn't be since the LCD still works fine.

Man oh man, what a dope I am. This girl had better be worth it!

10. Calliander macrumors member

If the LCD casing has any cosmetic damage, that's an out-of-warranty Tier 4 repair.

You could try talking to them before taking it anywhere to see if they'll fix it under warranty for you.

EDIT: If it's just the bottom case, they might consider it Tier 2, even though it's basically the same amount of time to replace as the LCD. :)

11. RedMacMan thread starter macrumors member

Whoa wait a minute, you're saying one little dent in the casing means a WHOLE new LCD for $1300??!

The LCD still works fine. All I need is to get the metal bent back a little into shape. Maybe I'll need to take it to some 3rd party repair shop...

Also, how do you know it would be tier 4?

12. InsiderTravels macrumors member

InsiderTravels

No. They can replace the top case too WITHOUT changing the LCD

On mine, they replaced both the bottom and top cases; apparently, the LCD can be salvaged if it's not damaged.

Had my repair not been under warranty, the guy told me that it would have fallen under a Tier 2 repair. He also said, as I mentioned before, that the price quoted for each Tier is the MAXIMUM, not the MINIMUM. Even if it is classified a Tier 2 repair, it could still end up costing less than the amount shown on the chart. That's just the amount they go by as an estimate, so customers know what to expect in worst-case scenario.

I hope this makes sense the way I've explained it.

Good Luck! :)

13. Calliander macrumors member

If the LCD case has a visible dent, and is causing the stressed pixel problem you described, then yes. Apple considers that abuse and to fix it the proper way will have to go all of the way down to the LCD level. I would agree with InsiderTravels, except that might get me in trouble. :)

Before doing that, though, I would definitely try to see if Apple will fix it for you under a special case. If you haven't had it for too long, they might be sympathetic. Or, they might do what they did in Insider's case.

I don't know for certain, this is just what I've seen in similar cases. I'm hoping yours will be different. :)

14. RedMacMan thread starter macrumors member

Well, so I took my bent Powerbook into the Apple store on Michigan Avenue here in Chicago last night, basically it was as I feared - best case scenario it's a Tier 2 $700 repair, worst case it's Tier 4 full LCD replacement for $1300.

The first guy that looked at it actually didn't think it was that bad, and had the same idea I did, that maybe he could just bend the frame back, or just replace the bezel. But he quickly determined that trying to bend the metal back would put too much stress on the LCD and jeopardize cracking the crystal. And Apple apparently doesn't offer just the spare part I'd need, it's like the whole case or nothing.

A second tech looked at it, also tried unsuccessfully to bend it back, then told me they'd just have to send it in to the main Apple repair facility and my bill could be anywhere from $700-$1300.

So... I pretty much decided that's not worth it for a slightly distorted lower left corner in my display. Bummer though. My powerbook will be scared for life. :(

Oh well, guess I just need to pay this one off and start saving for a G5 Powerbook. :)

15. InsiderTravels macrumors member

InsiderTravels

Sorry to hear that

Whoa...sorry to hear about that. I guess your damage must have been a little worse than mine was. But, as long as it still latches without putting too much pressure on the case or LCD, I guess you'll still be able to use it all right (until you can get that new G5!). It's too bad it got damaged before it was paid off, though. That stinks. For $1300, you might as well buy a brand-new machine!

Good luck anyway. :)