Bent tip on AC adapter?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Fourbin, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Fourbin macrumors regular

The tip that goes into my Powerbook G4 from the brick somehow got bent and I was wondering if this was in any way covered under AppleCare? Both the gold tip and outer metal ring of the connector are bent and I have no idea how. I could try bending them back into place but I don't want them to get stuck in the computer. Will AppleCare replace this or am I SOL and going to have to shell out $79 for a new powerbrick?

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Well, you were the one that bent the connector, that isn't a defect.

But by all means, try and give AppleCare a call and see what they say.

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

You're kidding right? You don't know what a straight prong looks like? Just bend it back straight already. And why can't you just call Apple Care to find out? Why do you have to ask here? Jesus.

4. Fourbin thread starter macrumors regular

Theres no change of straightening this thing out. I also was asking because I have to wait until Monday to get through to AppleCare. I was looking for an answer and no added commentary, thanks. Perhaps there is someone that this has happened to?

5. BeoVir macrumors member

I think u r outa luck. Applecare is an extended warrenty, and software service, thats it. It doesn't cover any accidental damage.

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I don't think he was tlking aobut the prongs that flip out and plug into the outlet in the wall, I think he was refering to the rounded end that actually plugs into the PB.

7. Fourbin thread starter macrumors regular

Just to clarify, you are correct.

8. Fourbin thread starter macrumors regular

9. jane doe macrumors 6502

As someone already said, your out of luck. AppleCare won't cover any kind of bent pins on the power adapter. The best thing to do is run down to the apple store and buy another one.

10. Fourbin thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking on eBay and came across this adapter. The adapter Apple sells on their site says 65w I believe and this one says 45w. Does that matter? Will this work in my new 1.5 AlBook?

11. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Why hastle with ebay and pay around $49 or so total w/ shipping for a 40watt power adapter when you can get a power adapter that is compatible with the powerbook and is smaller and cheaper? (looks smaller)

Micro Accessories 60W Power Adapter for all PowerBook G4 (all models) / iBook Dual USB & iBook G4 Systems (MICACADPTG4)

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=6432&Item=MICACADPTG4

Good luck :)

12. bksmith macrumors newbie

I'm actually on my third one. First my tip broke off and then the outer ring came apart a the seem. The guys at the Genius Bar in the Apple Store were kind enough to swap it out on two different occasions since I had Applecare. Frankly, the ends of these adaptors suck and are very fragile.

Try you local Apple Store if you have one, if not, try calling Apple, all they can say is no!