Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

British luxury car maker Bentley has released an Apple Watch app that treats Bentayga SUV passengers to a bevy of car functions not seen before on a smartwatch.

The app uses "bespoke digital architecture" that synchronizes with the vehicle's Touch Screen Remote (TSR) system, enabling passengers to access in-car climate control and entertainment systems, including the ability to adjust the heating, ventilation, and massage functions of their seats.

Bentleys-new-Bentayga-Apple-Watch-App.jpg

Elsewhere, users can also monitor real-time car information from within the app, such as vehicle speed, distance travelled, and outside temperature. Meanwhile, media functions for hi-fi and digital TV include the ability to change volume, adjust playback controls, and switch media sources.

And if the driver seat is too reclined for passengers' liking, this can be adjusted from the app, too.

The Bentayga TSR app is a free download available on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

The Bentayga SUV starts at $229,100.

Article Link: Bentley Apple Watch App Puts In-Car Controls on Passenger's Wrist

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
As a passenger I would just whip out my phone. The Apple Watch is solving a problem that's not even there.

Reactions: AleXXXa

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The use case for this is when you're walking towards your car and you want to have the climate ready when you get there.

I thought that was obvious... It's the same people pay for remote start.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
And if the driver seat is too reclined for passengers' liking, this can be adjusted from the app, too.

I hope that doesn't include when the car is moving. I know this only affects <0.001% of cars sold... but giving a passenger the ability to do anything to the driver's seat while the car is operating should be completely illegal.

Reactions: Roadstar

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Unfortunately, turning on the AC from the Apple watch would probably actually turn on the AC in the car just before you arrive ... on a cross country road trip. That's how slow these apps are, even native ones.

Reactions: mazz0 and 69Mustang

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI

That seems... odd. Giving passengers the ability to adjust the driver's seat. Unless it's a situation where the driver is hired and the passenger in this case is the owner.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
"As the driver, this car isn't moving another inch until you stop f&*^^ng around with my seat and take that damn watch off." That's a pretty dumb/bold feature.
"Bespoke digital architecture" makes me barf.

Reactions: 69Mustang

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
As a passenger I would just whip out my phone. The Apple Watch is solving a problem that's not even there.
Or you could just extend your arm and push a button, twist a knob, or touch the screen in the car. Besides, by the time the 3rd party Bentley app actually activated you'd most like already be at your destination.:D
100% right. Solving a non-existent problem.

Reactions: Brandhouse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.