BeoSound 3

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGav, Nov 11, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

At first glance I thought "yeah, that looks good". However, the video provided me with disappointment. For example:
    - The aerial popping up looked a bit crap - surely they could have integrated that into the unit.
    - The red digits through the mesh looked quite nasty
    - the lack of DAB seems a large oversight, especially as this is going to be a premium product

I imagine I could modify my opinion on seeing it for real, but I'm doubtful

3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    beautiful

i do love B&O design.

i'd be interested to hear what this new one sounds like, it does look achingly cool.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm not sure about this - so the handle is to carry it around? The video doesn't explain much - but I think you'd actually need to see one of these in person and hear the sound.

D

5. Pastorius macrumors newbie

If this sounds anything like the BeoSound 2, its awesomeness is beyond comparison. B&O is on the high-end, super-duper-fidelity market. Y'know, that fidelity that is so high that technically a human being can't tell the difference. I went to a B&O store when I was in Toronto just to listen to the sound of their speakers. Too bad that this doesn't have a line in, as some others do. What people'd do is that they'd hook up their B&O's either to their pc or to a high-speed external drive and play it then. Its quite awesome, and so pretty too.

When I'm filthy rich, I'll own a house built with B&O into every living room and all home automated, connected to my bluetooth ultra-high-tech cellphone.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Its not THAT impressive. I don't see the point of having this unless it costs less than $100, and I doubt that it would.

7. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I'm not a big fan of B&O stuff. Although it looks good and (for the most part) sounds excellent, you can buy equally good equipment for a fraction of the price if you are willing to give up a bit on the design front.
    I don't know about their sound stuff, but their tvs are supplied by Philips which isn't bad, but there's better quality stuff on the market.
    Nonetheless. Its nice looking stuff, and if someone gave me some B&O stuff I surely wouldn't turn it down! :D

8. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I love that. Totally makes it for me :eek:

9. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Really? :p

I will admit at first I thought yeah that's cool. However when it's in use it'll totally destroy the look of the thing - instead of just the grey cuboid and black hoop, there's a honking great silver aerial sticking out the top. If it was a short stubby thing, the action might have sold me, but not the size it really is. :)

10. ksz macrumors 68000

Look at the specs and you'll see that its mono. High-fidelity with only one channel?

B&O is not considered to be an audiophile-recommended brand. It may sound better than most mass-market gear, but I've honestly listened to their systems with full intention to buy, but have been disppointed with sound quality.

On a short visit to Singapore a week ago I spent an afternoon at the Le Meridian hotel which was hosting an annual hifi event. Two rooms really knocked the socks off of me:

1. Goldmund CD/SACD and monoblocks playing through Sonus Faber Amati Homage speakers.

2. Bladelius Freja CD/SACD and Grendel amps playing through Marten Design Coltrane speakers.

All reservations and misgivings I had about snobby high-end audiophiliacs and their fetish for expensive gear evaporated with the magic of a hauntingly beautiful rendition of Simon and Garfunkel's Rosemary and Thyme by a female Chinese vocalist. Simply beyond words. (And no, B&O does not even come close.) And yes, each of these setups costs an insane amount, but it truly delivers.