Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway has increased its stake in Apple by 55 percent, taking its investment in the company to $1.46 billion (via Reuters).

Berkshire owned 15.23 million Apple shares as of June 30, up from 9.81 million shares as of March 31, according to a regulatory filing. It's unclear whether Buffett himself or one of his deputies are behind the investment.

7802035.jpg

The move by Berkshire Hathaway took advantage of a difficult time for Apple on the stock market. Between April and June, Apple's share prices dipped 12 percent to $95.60 per share, following the company's first revenue decline in 13 years during the previous quarter.

Despite that, Apple shares are up more than 10 percent in the last month, after the company rebounded on news of better than anticipated business performance in its last earnings call, partly due to strong iPhone SE sales.

Back in March, Berkshire revealed its $1.2 billion stake in Apple, causing shares to soar 9 percent and breach the $100 mark shortly after other investors revealed they had moved to dump Apple stock.

Article Link: Berkshire Hathaway Increases Stake in Apple to $1.46 Billion

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Buy low and sell high. He bought in June when the stock was at a low point he will probably sell soon. His interest is purely profit and not Apple per se.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Recently did the same, but a teeny, tiny fraction of the investment they have.

Looking forward to the next wave of computing devices (new MBP, Apple Watch 2, and the 10th Anniversary iPhone) over the coming years. Including the improvements to software (watchOS 3, hopefully more iPad (Pro) specific OS features). More unity between devices and the home via HomeKit. Continued push via the Apple watch into health and fitness. Beats product refreshes. Then there's the inevitable rise of AR and VR from cool into mass market useful. And even bigger, possibly something car related.

Exciting times ahead. Although I'm certainly wondering how big the sales of a similar looking iPhone 7 will be and how that may affect stock price in the short term. Longer term I'm pretty confident.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Buy low and sell high. He bought in June when the stock was at a low point he will probably sell soon. His interest is purely profit and not Apple per se.
Can't blame him.... I mean Apple is a Company, do you want to have emotion for a company?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I think that people will start buying Apple ahead of the announcement in a few weeks if they believe that something great is going to come out. The doomsayers will probably be shorting ahead of the announcement. Clearly WB is not one of the doomsayers.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
While yes he's in it for profit he tends not to move in and out of any company quickly.

(of course he'll prove me wrong and bail in month)
You are in when you think it is the best time, and out when you think it is the best time....(so he is in and out when he believes the times are right, wich can be long, or as you suggested as little as a month .....even if the short term is less likely for a big trader)

There's no emotion in trading, there's no emotion deling with companies, it is the end user or loyal fan who "feels" something for a company, a business man looks at numbers!

You do not invest 1.46 billion on feelings :p

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Great investors always look to invest in great companies. It's good to see these big bets being placed on Apple. Despite all the pessimism on here, Apple is in a great position and continues to make the very best products in all the categories it competes.

Nice to see someone being positive about Apple for a change!

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I don't mind the Buff taking some shares now.
I'd rather return after the iP7 launch - that might coincide with a stock dip (or not)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Buffett typically buys into companies where he thinks he can have some influence, so we'll see how that plays out. He also tends to buy into industries he understands, and he's said in the past that technology is not one of them. So it is likely that this was more of a Berkshire Hathaway decision than an investment choice made by Warren Buffett himself.

Xtremjeepn

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2014
Buffett typically buys into companies where he thinks he can have some influence, so we'll see how t

No, Buffet prefers to buy into well run companies and not interfer. He buys into successful companies and doesn't want to mess with that success.

He fully understands that the whatever that company does is not his area of expertise.

Buffet buys and holds......forever.

Historically he has only sold shares in one company to use the cash to buy more shares of another. Never because a stock is up or down.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No, Buffet prefers to buy into well run companies and not interfer. He buys into successful companies and doesn't want to mess with that success.

He fully understands that the whatever that company does is not his area of expertise.

Not really. He isn't an activist investor of the likes of Carl Icahn, at least not recently, but he's operated very much like him in the past and he's not exactly a passive investor today. He might not be big on boardroom showdowns (though he's done that too), but he is known to work behind the scenes to make changes in companies in which he owns large stakes. Merely by being one of a company's largest stockholders, his voice is heard.

Xtremjeepn

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2014
Not really. He isn't an activist investor of the likes of Carl Icahn, at least not recently, but he's operated very much like him in the past and he's not exactly a passive investor today. He might not be big on boardroom showdowns (though he's done that too), but he is known to work behind the scenes to make changes in companies in which he owns large stakes. Merely by being one of a company's largest stockholders, his voice is heard.

I've studied his investing for over 20 years. I sold my financial business a few years back. . He is far from an active player. He doesn't try to step in and turn companies around or lead them in new directions. He buys them for the value they already have.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I've studied his investing for over 20 years. I sold my financial business a few years back. . He is far from an active player. He doesn't try to step in and turn companies around or lead them in new directions. He buys them for the value they already have.

Except when he doesn't. His company Berkshire Hathaway is itself the result of a takeover. I realize he isn't a corporate raider and prefers to be non-confrontational but by the same token he doesn't buy large stakes in companies and then unplug his phone.

Reactions: lowendlinux

JBaustian

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
That's a pretty big investment and seemingly at a good time to buy Apple shares too.

Not really -- it's a tiny share of outstanding Apple shares, and a tiny percentage of the Berkshire Hathaway portfolio. If Buffett was really enthused about Apple, he would have bought a lot more.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Not really -- it's a tiny share of outstanding Apple shares, and a tiny percentage of the Berkshire Hathaway portfolio. If Buffett was really enthused about Apple, he would have bought a lot more.

You think? Seems like he did just buy a lot more. AAPL is now Berkshire Hathaway's 16th largest minority investment, out of about fifty total.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.