Berlin Opera Cancels Mozart

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xsedrinam, Sep 26, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Berlin Opera Director, Kirsten Harms, defends the decision to cancel Mozart Opera Idomeneo due to fear of religious retaliation. One scene in the opera has the king presenting the severed heads of Poseidon, Mohammed, Jesus and Buddha. Berlin Mayor, along with opera fans think it is a wrong decision claiming the freedom of expression and the arts should not be censured and curtailed because of fear.
    "Our ideas about openness, tolerance and freedom must be lived out on the offensive," he told the Associated Press.

Attached Files:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

It might be prudent to not perform works from the likes of Copland and Bernstein and Barber and others as well. After all, we wouldn't want to offend anybody with gay music.

4. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Well, I still think Reginald Kenneth Dwight will be remembered as one of the great, prolific contemporary composers, though others may recognize him as Sir Elton Hercules John and remember him for thinking iPods are "silly". :)

I just wanted to present this thread as another integral part of the larger picture of how fear, intolerance and political correctness are the true terrorists which threaten our freedoms.

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

absolutely ridiculous.
    it's 2006, not 1706. a director should be able to present his art as he pleases, and let the public decide if they like it or not (in a civilized way).

that said, how do budda jesus and mohammed got into a story set in ancient greece?

6. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Wondered that, myself. Musician's license? :) The synopsis of the story line is about Idomeneo's pact he makes with Neptune the god of the sea: in return for his own life he will sacrifice the first human being he encounters on the shore....probably some improvs within the sacrificial scene is my guess. A brilliant composer he was, no doubt.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Welcome to the Brave, er... Cowardly New World. The terrorists have won and we're more than happy to submit to them. Unless of course we're losing a war to them. Then we can never stop fighting, no matter how badly we're doing.

I'm saddened, but not surprised, and just waiting for it to happen here, ala that South Park episode.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Maybe they could have done something to mock the fundamentalists in a way they couldn't argue with, like replacing the head of Mohammed with Barney the Dinosaur. Cancelling the opera is an extreme way of getting round the problem.

9. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I don't think that the Islamic world is going to get in a tizzy about Mozart.

A lot of them like his music.

10. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I also agree that the opera should not be cancelled, however it's not Mozart's music or the opera's story itself that is causing problems, but the director's interpretation. I don't like the fact that the he is using Mozart to further is political agenda. Quoting from the CNN article:
    If the director would just leave his religious bias at home and let the opera be about the music we wouldn't have these problems. I personally don't care what he thinks about religion. Just because he is the director doesn't make the opera about him. It will always be for Mozart's music that people go to see his operas.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Say it! Come on and say it! It's those people from the religion of peace aint it!?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey, if the pope had only left his religious bias at home, he wouldn't be in trouble either, right?

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

that self censorship is utter ridiculous ...

i guess this simply gonna end up as a big publicity stunt in the end since i have no doubt that they gonna restart it again after all protests

censoring out every controversial topic out of culture/art would just ruin it for everybody

14. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Yeah, next thing you know someone will suggest the "Islamic world" would explode over cartoons.

Preposterous!

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Only them...I see all Christian taking this really great!

But ya, its crap that any religion is feared this much...

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Good to see the Gutless Wonder Brigade has managed to start a charter in Berlin.

The fall of the west apparently won't come at the hands of the Occulted Imam, but rather at the hands of cowards and idiots.

17. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Merkel says the right thing...

These are just words, but they sounds good. I hope the show goes on.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i think they will show it eventually, and they should (then let people boo it again).

maybe it was -as Takao said- just a publicity stunt, but it drew attention to the issue from a different perspective, and it might actually work in favour of tolerance of other's ideas, even if they go against our "truths". Today, this applies especially to part of the muslim world, but not only (I'm thinking christian fundies). Maybe it's time for the believers to realize that their guy has big shoulders and can take a little abuse.

the interpretation however, is not anti-islam, it is anti-religion, but so is the play itself (though not so blatantly), which pits the response of civil society against the insane demands of blind religion.

the response of Poseidon (send out the sea monster and murder innocents), to idomeneo's failure to sacrifice his own son to him (an inhuman demand to begin with), is not different from what other equally abusive, mean and vindictive gods have 'done' (allegedly) in the past and they still 'do' in the present (at least according to the interpretation of some faithful -aids, 9/11, katrina, tsunami).

19. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

So there's no difference between a notoriously racist country (and Danes are notoriously racist, like it or not) publishing contemporary cartoons that are intended to rile up Muslims, and a 200 year old opera.

Muslims don't care about what Mozart said or did, but they might care if his music is going to be used to denigrate them, much as black people might care if the opera was done as a black and white minstrel show, or Jews care about some of Wagner's operas. Note how contemporary productions of Wagner go out of their way to deemphasize the anti-semitic parts of Wagner.

Get a clue. Ordinary Muslims are sick of being demonized by Westerners. How many movies have you seen in the last 20 years where the villains are Middle Eastern Muslims. If the same were done to blacks or Jews there would be an outcry. Most Westerners are simply too dumb or indoctrinated to realize how this stuff appears to Muslims. It's exactly the same as Western filmakers used to portray Asians. Decent people now realize that this was wrong. Muslims are right to complain if they are treated the same way.

20. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Yes, we must struggle together to save the white race, brother.

Amen...

21. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

that's not a good analogy, because this production was spreading around the disdain, not singling out Muslims.
    So you're saying that had the show gone on, there would have been no security concerns, and no threats of violence would have occured?

In case you weren't paying attention, a couple weeks ago the pope suggested Islam has a history of spreading by the sword. The response wasn't to write letters to the editor—it was to burn churches and kill nuns.

And while no doubt that was a minority reaction, and I'm sure ordinary Muslims do resent being demonized, you can't seriously suggest there wouldn't have been a violent reaction (and that such a reaction would not come from the Christians and Buddhists, who were also "demonized" by this opera production).
    Dude, do have any idea what kind of vitriol is spread about the Jews throughout the Islamic world? With very little outcry?

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And that makes it OK how?

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Where are the Muslim filmmakers who are willing to present a different perspective? Oh, that's right, they're all being censored by the mullahs and their repressive governments. What's the last book by a Muslim writer that dared to take on the status quo? Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie perhaps? Hmm, what happened to him, seems to me that he's still hiding from those who want to kill him? Theo Van Gogh was murdered for his willingness to take a critical yet unbiased look at Muslims in The Netherlands. Why should I go out of my way to defend the Muslim way of life when Muslim are unwilling to allow any degree of freedom of expression amongst themselves?

24. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

makes what ok?:confused:

25. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Do you believe that if, in fact, vitriol about the Jews is being spread throughout the Islamic world, that that makes it OK for movies to regularly feature villains who are Middle-Eastern Muslims? Does one good stereotype deserve another?