Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sophisaur

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
just what the title says :)

edit: to be more specific, even when i'm running only shiira and adium, my memory according to istate is almost full. is it just because i've been leaving my computer on for too long? cpu is almost nothing

also, what's the difference between the different types of memory?

sorry to have been vague..

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
As broad as the scope of the question is, not opening applications comes to mind. ;) :D

You're always going to have more memory usage than you think you should, unless of course, you have lots of RAM and do very little with the machine.

If you're having a performance problem, keeping fewer applications open at the same time should help. Alternatively, buying more RAM should help.

If you're worried about something specific, you should ask about that.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If you don't use Dashboard then use one of the hacks to disable it totally.

Another one is don't keep files and folders on your desktop. There is a slight strangeness in the way OSX handles them. To display them it creates a Window (without a titlebar etc) for EACH icon and attaches that to the background parent window. This uses up window server resources, RAM and slows down each and every Window composite.

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
One thing I'm noticing is how much slower my computer runs when I'm running the quick switch mode between users on my computer. It uses a ton of Ram to do it.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
craigatkinson said:
One thing I'm noticing is how much slower my computer runs when I'm running the quick switch mode between users on my computer. It uses a ton of Ram to do it.

That's because all of the programs the other user had running are still in RAM.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Check your RAM usage.

Does it say "free" and "inactive?"

Unix-based OSes are kind of weird in the way they manage RAM. The OS gobbles up RAM that was being used by a process and saves it for a future process. This is inactive RAM.

If you add your free and inactive RAM, that'll be your unused, available RAM.

sophisaur

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
most of the not-free RAM is inactive, and then about 60% of the rest is wired, 40% is active.

i don't have any other user accounts..and the memory lackage usually happens after i use my mac for a while. is lagging just inevitable after prolonged usage, even after i close most applications?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Inactive RAM is free, so it sounds like you have plenty of RAM (at least at that moment in time).

What do your page in/out stats look like?

sophisaur

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
most of the time IN =0kb and OUT =0 kb with IN occasionally spiking up to forties and OUT staying under 4 kb

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
sophisaur said:
most of the time IN =0kb and OUT =0 kb with IN occasionally spiking up to forties and OUT staying under 4 kb

Oops...sorry, that's not what I was talking about. In Activity Monitor, check the System Memory panel down at the bottom.

As an example, here's mine. (Note that I'm currently running 10.3 on an old iBook with only 384 MB of RAM...I should have more RAM, but it's not worth it to me at this point. I'm actually surprised my page in/page out ratio isn't worse.)

Picture 1.png

sophisaur

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
as of now (after i just started up) is 21833/0. what does this number mean? and what's a good range?

please excuse my numerous burning questions :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Page outs occur when RAM is insufficient to hold all of the necessary data, so it transfers some of the data (page outs) to the hard drive. Since the hard drive (and the transfer itself) is slow, this slows down your computer. You will generally still accumulate some page outs even with plenty of RAM, so most people will tell you to look more at the ratio of page ins to page outs. It's tough to tell at this point since you just restarted, but take a look at it occasionally to see if page outs are accumulating.

People don't generally specify a "satisfactory" ratio (I guess it's more of a gut feeling based on that ratio plus your perceived sluggishness of the system), but I usually think that if page outs are more than 10% the number of your page ins, then you might want more RAM. Of course, it also depends on what you're doing. If you are getting page outs from just using Safari and Mail, you'll be in trouble when you start up more demanding applications. If you just get through a big iMovie render or something like that that you only do rarely, you might be willing to accept a higher number of page outs.

It's complicated. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.