Best 1080p HDTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Peyton, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I really want to get a great tv, I would rather spend more and get what I want than some crap I have to replace or am not completely satisfied with (a la Apple fan)

Any ideas? I would love apple to just release a 50inch amazing tv, but I like sony/samsung as well.

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

your budget?

for what kinda room? to watch what kinda stuff?

3. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

Budget: $5000 max, I'd like integrated hd tuner obviously

Room: large living room (10-15 viewing distance)

Size: 50-65 inch? Maybe 70?

Size of TV: AS THIN AS POSSIBLE. I would rather not go with Plasma because of burn-in and life expectancy, but I could go with a thin rear projection. Some DLPs look great too.

4. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

50 or 60 inch?

For either size, I suggest Sony SXRD (XBR) ...I sell them at work, and they're amazing. If you like DLP, my dad has a Samsung HLR-5668W, which is 1080p as well.

5. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

interesting. room sounds good too.

If it's not going to get a trashing (lots of hrs) I'd consider a front-projection system. Bigger is better, but ambient light is always a problem no matter how flashy your projector is.

I run a regular widescreen Panasonic CRT, it does 1080i, among other fancy things... I have the room for it, and it's just the 'family room' unit.

dedicated screening room has front-projector, run of the mill 5.1 audio, etc, etc.

digital satellite TV in the family room on the CRT, and DVD's (and sporting events, etc) in the screening room.

I also occasionally setup an "outdoor cinema", if i can be bothered unbolting projectors, setting up screens, etc.. haha mission.

good luck with your purchase. Some people dont realise how important the investment of a good TV is... esp if your a hermit, or enjoy vege'ing in front of the tele a lot.. heh

James

6. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

Thanks for the help, I think I'll go with

Samsung 67" DLP HDTV (HLR6768W)

Any info on it? Thanks again. Btw, I found it for $4850

7. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

That's a massssive TV, just so you know. It's a good set though. Like I said, my dad has that TV in the 56", and loves it.

8. qtip919 macrumors 6502

Its an amazing tv. I use it with my xbox360, and its simply unreal.

2 things:

1. make sure the tv has DVI in + audio jacks for the dvi in (dedicated audio means you dont need to worry about switching between audio sources all the time)
    2. make sure the tv doesnt suffer from overscan.

All TVs have differing reactions to being hooked up to a computer. Overscan is when the tv doesnt quite render the screen perfectly (size wise)

On my Philips 37" lcd, the very bottom of the dock gets cut off...soooo, I usually put the dock on one of the screen edge sides.

In my experience, the samsungs are the best at overscan issues...not sure why

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

holy batman...67" I'm coming over next super bowl party j/k. i hope you have a big room for that...
    post pics :D

10. qtip919 macrumors 6502

Actually, this is really important...

A smallish room with one of these tvs is overwhelming. If you're sitting anywhere near 4-5' from this set, your going to be seasick. This tv needs space.

11. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Ive got a Toshiba 56MX195 in the living room that I love, its perfect at 12 feet away. Its got an HD Tuner and CableCard slot which is a plus. Its a nice TV and can be had for a pretty good price if you look around.