Best 1gig RAM upgrade for G4 Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PowermacZach, Feb 25, 2004.

1. PowermacZach macrumors newbie

I am looking to get a gig stick or two for a Powerbook G4 (15" 1.25ghz configuration.) It appears that the popular demand is for crucial memory, as they are said to offer the greatest performace of all aftermarket memory manufacturers.

However, when I visited Crucial's site, I coudn't find a gig stick for my system and their customer support said they don't offer this size of upgrade for my Powerbook.

I would like to hear opinions on some of the top performing 1gig RAM upgrades from anyone who can lend some knowledge of their experiences to me. Are there any reliable, compatible third party memory makers for this type of upgrade? I really don't feel like spending $700 for the apple RAM.

Help is appreciated.

2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Crucial carried them a couple weeks ago when I checked last. Basically I don't think there will be any performance between brands because of FSB on the Powerbooks. Your best bet is to get ram with a lifetime warranty so it will be replaced for free if anything goes wrong. Some other vendors I've heard of but haven't delt with are OWC and Transintl.

3. kangaroo macrumors regular

I too was looking for 1GB sticks for my PBG4 and found the prices to be ridiculous. Crucial offered a 1GB stick for a very short time and then pulled it--presumably because of technical issues. I gave in and bought (2) 512MB sticks from Crucial (took advantage of the BBUSERGROUP discount) and I'll see how it goes. Good luck.

4. hob macrumors 68020

hob

crucial uk are selling PB 12" 1GHz Ram - about £60 for 512 or £200 for 1000!!!!! I don't think i can afford the 1000MB!

Hob

5. Macnasien macrumors newbie

Macnasien

I only got 12" but it works great with Kingston !!

I don't know if it will help. I bought an 1 GB PC2100 Kingston to get my 12" to 1,25 GB Ram and it's working great together :D.If someone ask me if he should buy, I would say yes. On the other Hand you have two slots and you can get 2*512 in it and it would be much cheaper. I think in no time the 1 GB will be cheaper,so maybe you should wait or buy 1GB so you need not to sell it later ;)

6. kangaroo macrumors regular

Update:

Rec'd my Crucial sticks yesterday and they promptly turned my rock-solid Mac into a quivering mess. They're going back today.:mad: