Best 1TB Internal HD for G5 using Photoshop?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Beaniecheese, Jun 23, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Beaniecheese

Hi you clever lot.

I'm giving my comp a new lease of life. Looking at getting a DL Superdrive and a new internal HD.

As far as I'm aware [with my limit knowledge] all I need is a 3.5" SATA and all should plug'n'play. But things are never that simple, for me anyways.

Internal HD conditions:
    1. Mac G5 compatible
    2. Fast with Photoshop
    3. Quiet as possible
    4. Reliable
    5. Under £100

Which internal HD would you recommend?

Also, I have 3gb of memory, would making it 4gb make much difference? I generally have many apps open with photoshop being the most demanding.

2. macrumors 68040

California

Just make sure it has 32gb cache, Seagate should be fine.

I can't remember which dual you have but max out the ram. I think you can go eight gigs?

Also get the best video card you can find.

I'm running my 2.3 with 11 gigs of ram.

And a quadra 512mb card.

3. macrumors 6502a

32gb cache! :eek:

Just kidding, but I have 3 x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black drives in my MP and I love them, so I'd definitely suggest these! :)

4. macrumors 601

Tesselator

From looking around on the hardware sites that review and benchmark single drives I would agree. The WD Black drives.

5. macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I am partial to Seagate drives myself. I have dual 640GB's and they are very cool and quite fast, I have gotten 80MB/s write speed with large files. Compared to the Western Digitals and Samsungs I have owned they are much quieter and far cooler. With all of the WD's I have owned they all would get nearly hot enough to burn your hand. While the Seagates are barely above room temperature.

I would also have mentioned Hitachi but Newegg does not list a 32MB Cache 1TB model. Though they may be available elsewhere. I have found there drives to be cool, quiet and fast too.

I use to refer people to the Tomshardware.com hard drive charts. But they screwed with the formatting so that is really difficult to isolate the specific drives and benchmarks now.