Best 2.1 Mac Speakers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by powermac, Mar 4, 2004.

1. powermac macrumors newbie

I'm thinking JBL Creature II but I'm also considering Klipsch Promedia GMX. Don't need anything fancy just two satellites and a sub to play music and possibly some games. But I want the music to sound damn good!

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

You should go for the creatures, they are amazing. the sound quality is very good and loads of bass if you want it, and they look nice on your desk!

3. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Many people have been recommending the Creatures lately. I personally haven't heard them, but I love my Klipsch Pro Media's. They have clear highs, even response, tight bass. I would suggest you try and find somewhere to listen to both models.

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

5. applebum macrumors 6502

Soundsticks! I listened to both the Soundsticks and the creatures at CompUSA and I preferred the Soundsticks. I think they look better too. Go somewhere that you can listen to all your choices and compare. Soundsticks sell for $160 at Amazon.

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Creature II's Superb sound quality for the price. Also you can get them for 80 bucks at buy.com

7. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

How many times do I have to say this? Go for the Creative I-Trigue 3450s!

8. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

No. If you have ANY possibility of affording them, buy Klipsch Promedias or GMXs. The Creatures are decent, (though for the price, Altec Lansing ATP3s are still better at $60 or so) but if you can get Klipsch, DO IT. You won't ever regret it.

9. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Followup: ATP3s (formerly $120, then $80) are now down to $45, making them pretty much a steal. These are unquestionably the best 2.1s under $100, (yes, counting the Creatures and Soundsticks and all that) and the Klipsch GMXs are the best 2.1s, period.

Altec Lansings in White: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=324041/search=atp3/ut=44a73f9f16dfecd2

Altec Lansings in Black: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=234330/search=atp3/ut=44a73f9f16dfecd2

Klipsch Promedia (older, more conservative-looking version of the GMX): http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1738217/found=1/ut=44a73f9f16dfecd2

10. Opteron macrumors 6502

I can't stand multimedia speakers:(. but that's just my opinion.

11. Freakk123 macrumors regular

I have the Klipsch and have used the Creatures, and all I can say is BUY THE KLIPSCH!!! They have really good bass, and sound great. If you can afford them, get them!

12. smharmon macrumors member

I thought us mac users wanted style, looks, and performance... you have to go soundsticks or the creatures (my choice)

13. craigdawg macrumors 6502

ProMedia 2.1

I have the old school ProMedia 2.1 and have been very happy. While they may not be as interesting to look at as the Creatures, they sound GREAT and that's all really that matters. In fact, they're so good I now listen to music exclusively on the computer.

The sats are two-way (the Creatures have a single driver) and because they're taller, the tweeters will be closer to ear-level where you want them for better imaging.

The sub has surprisingly deep bass (the sub gets down to 31Hz compared to 50Hz on the JBL) and is rated at double the wattage as the Creature's with less distortion.

That being said, if you can, do a side-by-side comparison with some music you're really familiar with. Let your ears tell you what's best for you.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have Altec Lansing's ATP3s and i think they are wonderful, the reason i got theses is because of thier sub-$100 price tag compared to the others when i bought mine, but i have no regrets because the sound quality is great...for me at least....

15. powermac thread starter macrumors newbie

GMX A-2.1

The Klipsch Promedia GMX A-2.1 look great, they're more stylish than the older Promedias. So it seems like if I want true hi-fi audio I should go with Klipsch. And with these new ones I can have style along with the high quality sound. Does anyone else have an opinion?

I should've mentioned this before, but I also plan to MAKE music on my new Mac. So it sounds like Klipsch is the way to go. Thanks to everyone who's posted, this is a great help. But keep the debate up...I'm not going to buy the speakers until Monday. (payday! :D )

Mac people are so freaking nice. This is great. I get my G5 tomorrow supposedly.

16. emacnewbie macrumors newbie

New speakers are on my list as well. After searching consumer reviews on several sites one thing that is mentioned a lot about the Klipsch ProMedia speakers is a continuous hiss they produce. I'm trying to cover up the fan noise, not add to it. Anyone care to comment? Thanks, Mike

17. kibit macrumors member

kibit

Consider the Bose Companion 3. They blow my soundsticks away, and work with both PC and Mac. Just my 2¢

18. ezkimo macrumors regular

I have these Klipsch speakers and highly recommend them.
    Great sound, look pretty good, easy setup, dont take up much space...

-Zach

19. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I have a pair of Klipsch Promedia 2.1's, and they sound absolutely wonderful. I am not aware of any hiss, even with volume at 100%. Keep in mind that soundcards always produce a bit of line noice due to their analog nature, and so it is best to keep the actual volume slider on your Mac no higher than 50%. Any higher than that, and it might introduce hiss - on any speakers.

20. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

BUY THE KLIPSCH PROMEDIA 2.1 SYSTEM!!!!! I've had Soundsticks, Creatures, and several Creative or Altec ystems, and the Klipsch speakers absolutely dominate every other model in terms of power, response, clarity, depth, and range. Put simply, they are the ONLY choice for a real audiophile on a (relative) budget.

21. emacnewbie macrumors newbie

I'd like to get a response from the Klipsch users on the following quote concerning the ProMedia speakers taken from a consumer review on another web site: "But they require a digital connection and as such there is usually a connection stream from the appliance (normally a PC or console game machine)--and if there is a stream these speakers hiss like an air leak.

Klipsch is aware of the issue (and in fact, they begin their FAQ about these speakers with the topic). Their response? All speakers hiss. That is just not the truth, but it is true that all of THESE speakers hiss.

I have since ditched the controller puck (where the DSP lives) and voila! the hiss is gone. "
    Not being an audiophile I'm not sure if this accurate info or not. Any thoughts? Thanks, Mike

22. bonk macrumors member

god, I almost hesitate to throw in my 2 cents - I'm sure I'll be soundly flamed by the audiophiles, but...

I have a set of logitech X220s. they sound great. huge base response. 50 bucks. it's really hard (at least in my experience) to find a place to listen to a decent selection of computer speakers head to head, but they sounded at least as good as anything else I tested for twice the price. if you're willing to spend 150+, I'm sure you can get much better, but these are terrific speakers at an unbeatable price. (oh, and they're nice and fugly, too!)

23. Soire macrumors regular

I'm in a similar situation. I'm looking to spend no more than $100 and would like something that sounds pretty good and is easy on the eyes for a new PowerMac when they're released (fingers crossed). The iTrigue 3350s or Creature speakers first came to mind. Any thoughts? Thanks.

24. powermac thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe this reviewer was talking about the 5.1 version. I'm pretty sure the 2.1 version is your standard headphone jack and an additional RCA jack (like the back of your stereo). Am I correct?

25. emacnewbie macrumors newbie

Powermac, You are correct, they were the 5.1s. I'm not familiar with either setup. The reviewer I quoted also said "I actually have the 5.1 version of these speakers but the DSP in the 2.1 is the same, and that is the cause of the hiss". Still not sure what that means. I do know that I'll be making up my mind shortly as to which brand/type to get and will be curious as to what you end up with. Thanks to everyone taking part in this discussion. It's good to get a computer speaker education! Mike