Best 2.1 or 4.1 Computer Speakers for Under $150

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Macmaniac, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I'm looking to get a pair of computer speakers for a G5 I plan to purchase when the Rev B. comes out. They would be mostly for gaming and music, something with good bass and decent surround, I would prefer that they were under $150.

2. tace macrumors member

Altec ATP-3

They have dropped to $79 in some places. If you have a wooden desk where your keyboard is, you can actually feel the vibrations with the down firing satellites. You might even be able to find the ATP-5s for cheap know.

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

JBL Creature Speakers. I do not have them, but if I needed speakers these would be the ones I would buy. Not only do they look nice, but I hear that they have exceptional sound quality. Go to Amazon, do a search for them and read the reviews.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i have a set of monsoon planar media nines they were like $90 last year.

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i can vouch for that. i have some of the silver ones and not only do they look good with my PB but they also sound really good. the sound is really clear with lots of bass if needed. oh and they go really loud if so desired!

6. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

7. BaDBoY macrumors member

ah...

ahhh.... how interesting. The infamous 621 and 641 speaker sets from altec lansing. they have been known to blow out their subwoofers for some reason. some people have reported their woofers going out as early as 6 months. this is hence the reason why they discontinued the models.

interesting, and ironic, i actaully own a altec lansing 641 speaker set, and the woofer hasnt died on me yet. its been about 5 years ive had these speakers. i love them... full blast, they shake the house. the subwoofer is litterally bigger than my old G4 tower. 10" subs. thats stuff you put in car systems hehe :D... if you want these speakers, good luck... you wont find them ANYWHERE... unless youre extremely lucky

8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

the logitech z-680. logitech lists them for $400, i got them for $150 at Best Buy. 5.1 with digital audio, for $150 can't be beat, especially since Apple's moving to optical audio.

9. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

I hadnt heard about those problems. It sounds like the kind of thin g which would only happen if you amped them up RIDICULOUSLY high, causing the subbie to blow out. I often have them blasting away at full volume, shaking all the windows, floorboards, pets in my house with the force of the sub. So Ive not had any problems at all. :)

~ozi

10. mrviga macrumors member

The Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speaker system is far superior to the Creatures. I own them both, and I much prefer the Klipschs. They also have a very cool industrial look to them that matches my 17" PB quite nicely. :)

11. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I'd have to agree with you here. The Creatures might sound decent alone, but compared to the Klipsch, there is no contest. Its easily some of the best speakers you can buy for your computer. I mean, come on. You're buying speakers here - buy them for the sound, not for the looks!