Best 20" CRT?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by onlydroops, Oct 21, 2003.

1. onlydroops macrumors member

I'm trying to find the best 20" CRT for hardcore graphics use, keeping the price under $500.

21-22" is too big. Do NOT suggest LCDs. I don't want one, sorry :)

I'm interested in the Trinitrons or Diamondtrons but I'm worried about those 2 lines across the screen. Are there any manufacturers that make those that don't have the 2 lines or is that just they way it is?

Anything as flat as those or comparable?

The monitor must be PC and Mac compatible.

Thank you for any help!

2. phaeton macrumors newbie

hi,

i'm very happy with my 19" lacie electronblue i bought a few weeks ago.. pretty flat and comes with a standard vga-cable.

check: www.lacie.com for more infos

3. onlydroops thread starter macrumors member

From what I could tell it uses the Diamondtron grille... do you see the 2 horizontal lines on the screen?

4. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Actually the Lacie is a Mitsubishi is blue case+the hood, pay a bit more money for the hood and blue dye. I have two of those 19" Very nice monitor, gonna buy another one when I get another pair when I finally get a G5. I would say Mitsubishi, or lacie 19"

As alternative for Trinitron heard of Eizo? I think they are better than sony even though they are using Sony Tubes..

5. onlydroops thread starter macrumors member

Okay, but can you see the horizontal lines I've been talking about?

6. Alte22a macrumors 6502

yes, I dont know why they are there, I've gotten use to them now. Does that bother you? Well it is an issue, I guess it depends on what your priorities are..

7. onlydroops thread starter macrumors member

doesn't bother me, but if i can avoid it and still get the same quality monitor, i will

8. Alte22a macrumors 6502

my bet is on the Mitsubishi or lacie, that are exactly the same, except the blue and hood of course, Have a look at Eizo if you have them. They are priced similar I was kinda Deciding which one to get, in the end I settled for the mitsubishi. Each to their own I guess.

9. markiv810 macrumors regular

You see two lines because there are three guns used in the Trinitron CRT, three guns hence the name Tri. Hope it helps some one.

10. phaeton macrumors newbie

so... lines ey

are they resolution dependant?

oh.. just a second.. i just found one... and heres the second... i really never noticed before, but now that they are there...

lacie for sale :)

ok. no big problem. what bothers me most is the blue screen, the metallic g5 and the white keyboard. design-desaster. but at night all cats are grey

i'd definitley go with the lacie again...

11. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I have a 21" Dell P1130, which is just a rebadged Sony. I'd definatly get something with aperture grille, either the trinitron or diamondtron tubes. The 2 thin lines are aperature grille wires, they keep the aperature grille (as opposed to shadow mask in regular displays) in alignment. They are always there, regardless of resolution. They are, as I said earlier, metal wires. You only notice them on light colored backgrounds, and even then, you get used to them. The benifits of aperature grille (vibrancy of color, ect.) far outweigh the minor inconvenience of the wires.

12. primalman macrumors 6502a

Ditto what he said about the wires, they support the grille.

I have had 5 22" LaCies, the 19" LaCie and the 19" Mits....go with any of them, they are the best CRTs for the money, yu will not be disapointed. FWIW, I like the blue case of the LaCie over the beige or grey of other monitors, visually neutral with the glow of the screen.

13. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

I've been designing on large screen Sony Trini's for a long time. I admit that when I first noticed the wires it was somewhat unsettling, considering the price I paid (I wanted "perfection").

I still notice them, but now it's maybe once every few months. Honestly, your brain sort of tunes them out. Same goes for the occassional dead pixels on new Powerbooks or iBooks. You hate to see them, but in the long run, they don't affect your design one way or the other.

Believe me, over time, CRT screen wires dead pixels will be the least of your worries as a designer.

14. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I use a LaCie 19" as well and they are very good quality. While its really a mitsubishi monitor as others have said, I think you also get the antiglare coating on the screen, but I don't know if other mitsu monitors offer that. The coating is really effective.

As far as the horizontal lines g, I didn't even notice mine until I had been using it for a month. I never notice them anymore. They are really NOT a big deal at all, they are only about the width of a hair and you can only see them if you are looking for them.