Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamDonut

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2011
England, UK
Hi all,

so as the title suggests, i'm in the market for some external speakers for a 27" that are preferably not gigantic ugly things. Just decent sound and as good looking as possible, i just thought those of you that have bought external speakers could give me some advice?

theres nothing wrong with the standard speakers i just watch a lot of films and i'm always listening to music at my desk :D

Note: They are for a 27" cinema display, but as it is similar to the iMac in the question i'm asking and a lot of you have 27" apple displays, i figured this is the best forum to post in hope i don't get in trouble with the powers that be.

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
I went with the Bose Companion 5 speakers. A little pricey, but IMO worth it. Mine were bought as factory refurbs at a Bose outlet store. Before sales tax the speakers were $319.

companion5_gr_lg.jpg

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/digital_music_systems/computer_speakers/companion_5/index.jsp

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Can't Go wrong with either of these.

Klipsch ProMedia
Cambridge SoundWorks Extreme 2.1

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I'm all over the Audioengine A2's thanks. I don't want a sub, just bookshelfs. I'm not a Bose person either. But I do have a nice pair of unpowered Klipsh bookshelfs in the other room run off my Airport Express.

adversus

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2009
Portland, OR
They might more complicated than you want (sounds like you want a 2.1 solution), but the Logitech Z-5500's are quite possibly the best speaker sets I've ever owned. They've been around forever and not changed at all due to their awesome-ness.

But, it's a 5.1 system, so lots of speakers and a huge sub. For power they'll rattle your windows, but normal listening volume they sound superb.

Bat6111

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
New York
If you want to use it for movie, just go with the Bose A5. Music only just go with the A3 or just need it small size but big sound, you can go with the Bose Music Monitor.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Since the OP did not mention price range, I don't think it hurts to add my $0.02...

I've recently been testing a few units out. I previously have the Klipisch Promedia 2.1, but wanted something with less bass and more clarity. I'm in no way an audiophile and put myself on a budget around $100.

I was primarily looking for 2.0 units (no sub), and within the last month I have tried the Bose Companion 2 Series II, the M-Audio AV30, and the Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II.

All 3 speakers MSRP around $100. I ended going with the Creative set because it was the best sounding (to my ears and what I use it for - TV/Movies, and light gaming) and IMO was the best looking set. The Bose was second best looking, but the worse sounding. They did not sound horribly worse or anything, but was noticeable compared to the others. The M-Audio was the second best sounding, pretty close to the Creative, but looks wise they are meh, and they HUGE compared to the others.

As for other units to consider... This is some that I have read about from previous research, but have no personal experience with:

M-Audio AV40
Swan M10 (If you can find them)
Audioengine A2 (as others have suggested, but pricey at $200 compared to other options)

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi everybody,
this post is getting bigger & bigger.
I'm an audiophile for many years...
Have a turntable worth a few thousands$, etc, still about 600 LP (about 100 of them 'Original Master recordings' [when these albums used to cost $35 when 'normal' albums used to be $8...]).
So I just want to point out with all this that "I know what I'm talking about"...
Bose & Logitech don't belong in the 'audiophile' class of speakers.
If it's just casual listening then those speakers are OK.
If you want to do some quality listening then you have to look elsewhere.
I'm personally using these:
On my Mac: AudioEngine A2 + Yamaha 10" selfpowered Sub.
On my 'Gaming PC': AudioEngine A5 + Velodyne 12" selfpowered Sub.
And for any serious listening - don't use any MP3's...

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Hi everybody,
Have a turntable worth a few thousands$, etc, still about 600 LP (about 100 of them 'Original Master recordings' [when these albums used to cost $35 when 'normal' albums used to be $8...]).
So I just want to point out with all this that "I know what I'm talking about"...

I'm not going to try to argue with you, but would like to point that the OP never mentioned being or wanting to be an Audiophile... Actually, reading through the post again, no one mentioned anything about audiophile (well, except me saying that I am not one) or HI-FI... I actually don't see anything close to "I know what I'm talking about" comments, well except from you. :p

The OPs question was pretty general, and so far most of the suggestions would fit until he provides more details/criteria.

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Hi everybody,

Well thank you Grand Master of Sound.
The OP never said anything about being an audiophile (which by the way I think is much ado about nothing.)
It simply boils down to each user.

vigu360

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
Canada
Hi all,

so as the title suggests, i'm in the market for some external speakers for a 27" that are preferably not gigantic ugly things. Just decent sound and as good looking as possible, i just thought those of you that have bought external speakers could give me some advice?

theres nothing wrong with the standard speakers i just watch a lot of films and i'm always listening to music at my desk :D

Note: They are for a 27" cinema display, but as it is similar to the iMac in the question i'm asking and a lot of you have 27" apple displays, i figured this is the best forum to post in hope i don't get in trouble with the powers that be.

You went with Apple, you know you should go with BOSE. There will certainly be lot of hate comments on BOSE but lemme tell you, they are all jealous of it. Go for Companion 2 if you don't mind reduced BASS else go for Companion 3 or 5. Let me again rephrase BOSE is the best of all sound equipment.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Hi again (and 'you're not Me'),
I guess, small minds will always think small...

Stan, Stan, Stan...

Should someone that poses and posts pics of himself like that, really be trying to insult someone else?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of what the "Audio God" thinks.

Attachments

• 41645_1195620553_9002_n.jpg
    41645_1195620553_9002_n.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,711

RadiDoc

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
Hi all,

Hi there!

There are plenty of speakers to choose from. What's your budget?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.