Best 5.1 Speakers for use with a Dual 2.5 G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mudbug, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

A new member of the forums emailed me asking me this, and since I didn't have a really good direct answer, I thought I'd start up this thread.

I did a search already on the forums a few different ways, and while I came up with some relevant info, nothing addressed this question directly. So - thoughts/opinions welcome, but please provide links to either manufacturers or resellers if at all possible.

Thanks -
    Mud

2. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

My sugestions are the Logitech Z-680's or the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's....

Or my other option would be to go with M-Audio's LX4 2.1 system (link) and add a center channel and two more studio monitors.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Are these connected to the digital out? And if not, are there any?

4. dross macrumors regular

dross

I just bought a sub (LF1) and processor from Outlaw and they are fantastic particular because of the price.

5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I think this really depends on what price range he is going to commit and what kind of application you are going to put it in. For instance, if he is going to play dvds on his monitor and sit in a computer chair right in front of it, then is he going to position the satalites around him? If they are close you don't need the huge audio from things like the Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra. A small creative or logitech 5.1 setup would do. Of course if he is wanting to get speakers for watching from a couch or something, then bigger speakers could be in order. The most important thing to think about is how you are going to get the audio to the speakers. As the G5 can only output digital audio, instead of dedicated 3 plug output, you will need something that can decode optical dolby digital or DTS. Many speakers can't do this, so either you can get ones that do, like the logitech or lower end klipsch 5.1s that have built in decoders, or you need a seperate box to do it. Boxes could be dedicated receivers or something like the little klipsch breakout box or one of the Creative Extigy external sound cards.