Best 5.1 System for Powermac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TyleRomeo, Feb 15, 2005.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

What's the best 5.1 system around for the powermac? The Promedia 5.1 Ultra, the Logitech Z5500 or is there something out there or coming out I should take a look at? (will be used with M-Audio's Revolution PCI soundcard)

Tyler

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

with this said.. what does everyone here use for their 5.1 setup? I have a set of Klipsch Pro Media 4.1's that i absolutely ADORE.. i got them 2 years ago and they were well worth the $230 admission price. But if i buy a powermac i will more than likely switch them over to that and i know they don't support 4.1 out of the box.. so what is the best equipment to buy for that purpose?

3. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

the m-audio revolution sound card. Ohh btw this is for mostly music and DVD with little gaming. I'm looking for something in the $200-500 range. A huge bonus is if you can play stereo music thru all 5 speakers in fake surround.

Tyler

4. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Logik macrumors 6502a

you want the best? uh.. any of the THX certified computer speakers are the best you'll get... which means Logitech or Klipsch.. Like i said before i'm in love with my Klipsch pro media 4.1's... i have no need for 5.1 on a computer.. maybe an entertainment center but not my computer...

and wattage means jack ****... so.. if you must know. goto best buy and give them a try... i know they have klipsch pro medias at mine.. and i could've sworn i seen the logitechs there too

6. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

i want them to be as an entertainment speakers. i have a cinema display and my mac is my media center. i want the best for them. I know its not all about wattage. freq. response, digital formats supported and signal to noise are also important along with something that can handle 24/96.

Tyler

7. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I have Klipsch gmx 5.1s, and they sound absolutely fantastic. I use them for DVDs and gaming all the time and they really impress me each time I use them.

The one downfall is that there is a hiss that is noticeable if you are close to them while there is no music or sound coming out of them. I'm not sure why this is, but I have read that it is common with teh gmx series.

8. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klipsch GMX are great speakers. All digital while the promedia 5.1 are analog. I am looking for something that will blow people back at over 100 dB without any distortion.

9. bug macrumors regular

or....

You could use an actual 5.1 receiver and speakers if you are really looking for the best. ...it really depends on what you mean by best though, that can be a dangerous word ;)

I use a Denon with some Paradigm speakers. Works nice, but it takes up space :p

10. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

without a doubt go with the logitech z-5500 on amazon.com you can get them for 280 dollars. I have them for my powermac and i got to say they sound terrific. pc magazine even gave them a perfect ten, which is very rare for any product. I would highly suggest going with these speakers and i swear you wont be dissapointed.

11. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

The GMXs have one analog input, one digital coaxial, and one optical audio (toslink). It is really nice because I have the DVD player hooked up the coax, XBox hooked up to the optical, and Airport Express hooked up to the analog.

Also, they can do well over 100 dB without distortion! These things cause extreme pain before they distort, it is incredible