Best ad blocker for FireFox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dogbone, Jan 6, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I usually use Safari and PithHelmet but this site www.smh.com.au which I use all the time is sending me spare. When I try to open multiple tabs it invariably hangs for ages, what's worse is that all the tabs freeze while one is waiting to load. Sometimes the beachball comes back even after the page is loaded.

I've tested it with FireFox and it is much better and at least I can change tabs while one is loading but of course I'm bombarded with ads.

Can anyone recommend the best software or plug in for FF that works like PithHelmet in Safari

Thx

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

doesnt FF have a add on for this...check their site.

Bless

3. belvdr macrumors 601

4. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

This is the one I have running and it's fine.

Attached Files:

6. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

OK I finally found it got it up and running. didn't realise i had to code it myself. Works well.

I've resisted FF for a while but Safari hangs so much now on certain sites I can't stand it. What's worse is that the whole thing freezes while it's loading.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Code it yourself? Hardly. Adblock allows you to choose what you don't want to see. It's very flexible and quite reliable for something so early in its development. If it could do one thing more, I wish it would not allow opening windows where blocked items are the only thing to be displayed.

I'd be glad to export my current list of blocks to anyone who wants it.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait...what do you mean when you said you had to "code it" yourself?

B.T.W., floppymoose is another option for this (for almost any browser).... I think Adblock is much better, but sometimes, by the time you get everything coded into it, it can slow FF down. If that's the case, I find floppymoose and other .css solutions to be low overhead.

9. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

I think by code it himself he means that you have to tell it which adds to block. Check out this:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1136
    it's a filterset for adblock, so you need adblock installed, this just adds the definitions, and updates them automagically. This and adblock together are the reasons I don't use safari, can't live with out them!:D

10. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Nichos, yeah that's what I meant.

I've copied a standard bit of code in and I'm happy with it. I also found an undocumented feature or at least I couldn't find the documetation anywhere.

I was trying to open a link in a new tab BUT retain the focus on the current tab. Cmd click opened the link in the new tab OK just like on Safari but it took me a while to find out that I needed to use the Shift key as well if I wanted to retain the focus. I couldn't see this mentioned anywhere and there's no automatic option for it like Safari.

I can't work out what code to use though to block the bit on the right hand side of this site, near the top. The bit where the picture changes every five seconds. I opened the source code in GoLive to help me look for the right bit but it didn't help at all.

Does anyone know how what code will block that annoying animation? It's not an ad it's part of the news headlines.

11. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

does this block pop ups or ads on web pages, like at the top of MR? cause I never get pop ups with firefox or safari

12. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

VERY nice! Thanks for the link!

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Primarily ads in pages. There are some websites that used flash-based tricks in pages that make popups that can actually trick Safari or Firefox, and PithHelmet and Adblock can sometimes block those popups as well, but the main thing is graphical or flash ads in pages.

14. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Having used both, I think PithHelmet is much easier since its basically completely automatic. That alone keeps me from considering switching to FireFox as my main browser.