best advice gets a chocolate bun

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by flycheese, Feb 10, 2003.

1. flycheese macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2003
    i have installed osx on a g4 powerbook, installed classic, partitioned the hd, the hd (i thought) contained no operating system, i then installed os9,2 on the partition to run logic audio. i then went to system preferences to change startup disk to my partition partition showed up!!

anyone know why, also i cant use os9 as a startup disk (holding c).

i had good advice on a previous thread about a closely related issue but im trying to avoid doing that and im also trying to get my head round it.

help is really appreciated.

the chocolate bun thing was a bit of a con, i am desperate.

cheers!!!!!!:D :D ;)
  2. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
  3. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
    Hey look, I hit 6502. Sweet.

I had a similar problem with my dual 867 where booting to 9 would not allow me to see my other drive.

SOLUTION: In the OS 9 System folder, remove the Mac OS ROM, and replace it with the Mac OS ROM from an original OS 9 CD (not the restore CD that came with your mac).

Also, you cannot boot to an OS 9 -CD- on the Ti book I do not believe. I know I cannot on the 867, even though I got it before 2003. I can boot into 9 on my HD, but not to a CD.

Anyway, swapping the ROM file should clear up the partition mess hopefully. It's not entirely supported, but I called Apple tech and they actually "unofficially" recommended that I do it.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
  5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    u need to fully install OS 9 BEFORE X...

if u have not...u will have to start over...

install OS 9...then fully update it all the way....then start your install for X...

if u want to do 2 partitions...don't install anything...use the disc utility that comes on your OS 9 disc to create the partitions first...then do your OS installs second...
  6. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    what do those numbers mean anyway? never really payed attention...
  7. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.