best advice gets a chocolate bun

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by flycheese, Feb 10, 2003.

1. flycheese macrumors newbie

i have installed osx on a g4 powerbook, installed classic, partitioned the hd, the hd (i thought) contained no operating system, i then installed os9,2 on the partition to run logic audio. i then went to system preferences to change startup disk to my partition and....no partition showed up!!

anyone know why, also i cant use os9 as a startup disk (holding c).

i had good advice on a previous thread about a closely related issue but im trying to avoid doing that and im also trying to get my head round it.

help is really appreciated.

the chocolate bun thing was a bit of a con, i am desperate.

cheers!!!!!!:D :D ;)

2. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

3. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Hey look, I hit 6502. Sweet.

I had a similar problem with my dual 867 where booting to 9 would not allow me to see my other drive.

SOLUTION: In the OS 9 System folder, remove the Mac OS ROM, and replace it with the Mac OS ROM from an original OS 9 CD (not the restore CD that came with your mac).

Also, you cannot boot to an OS 9 -CD- on the Ti book I do not believe. I know I cannot on the 867, even though I got it before 2003. I can boot into 9 on my HD, but not to a CD.

Anyway, swapping the ROM file should clear up the partition mess hopefully. It's not entirely supported, but I called Apple tech and they actually "unofficially" recommended that I do it.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

u need to fully install OS 9 BEFORE X...

if u have not...u will have to start over...

install OS 9...then fully update it all the way....then start your install for X...

if u want to do 2 partitions...don't install anything...use the disc utility that comes on your OS 9 disc to create the partitions first...then do your OS installs second...

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

what do those numbers mean anyway? never really payed attention...

7. vniow macrumors G4