Best All-Time Film Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Community' started by agreenster, Sep 2, 2003.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I've been wanting to do this for a while but wanted to wait for a lull in all the hype surrounding the two most recent trilogies (Matrix and LOTR)

Even though the last two of each trilogy havent been released, which does the MR community think is the best?

Im going to have to vote by saying that the Matrix is probably one of the most original trilogies ever developed, but the LOTR is a perfect rendering of one of the best fantasy stories of all time.

My vote is for Lord of the Rings. It will be interesting to see if this changes after I see Revolutions and Return of the King.

On top of that, some of my other favorites are:

The Godfather
    Back to the Future
    Indiana Jones

Could do with or without Star Wars (IV V VI) or Jaws (though there were 4)

(Speilburg sure likes his trilogies)

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My vote: Colossus: The Forbin Project and The Fall of Colossus and Colossus and the Crab. But, sadly, it doesn't qualify because only the first of the trilogy of books by D.F. Jones was made into a movie. Being an optimist, I like to think of it as the first one of the trilogy made into a movie so far.

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

So hard...so many worthy choices, theres original star wars, indiana jones, back to the future...you did mention those though...hmmm

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

not a trilogy in the technical sense, but how about the leprechaun series. They are some of the stupidist and funniest movies ever made. Starring warwick Davis (Willow, and the ewok wicket from starwars). I mean, check it out:

Leprechaun -- Starring Jennifer Aniston (one of her first attempts to get into movies, which ranks high on the unintentional comedy scale). Tried to be a real horror flick, didn't quite make it

Leprechaun 2 -- Still kind of trying ot be a rela horror flick, threw in some gratuitous nudity and sillier jokes. All time classic.

Leprechaun 3: Leprchaun in L as Vegas -- They gave up and decided to just be funny. People exploding, weird sexbot scene. Classic.

Leprechaun 4: In Space -- What else needs to be said. They don't even mention once in the whole movie that he's a leprechaun. Makes no sense, has the girl from home improvements Tool Time show (Heidi). Cross dressing robots, giant half man/half scorpian. Pretty incredible.

Leprechaun 5: In the Hood -- By far the worst of them, but gets bonus points for starring Ice-T. You can't beat that.

Rumor has it Leprechaun back in the Hood is coming out. Gonna be classic.

these movies are best enjoyed in large parties where you watch all of them in large quantities of alcohol, and with leprechaun themed party games and food (green ice cubes, lucky charms, etc). We even got a leprechaun cake one year.

Trust me. These are among the funniest movies ever if you're in the right mood.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The original StarWars. See "The Power of Myth" for why.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Godfather trilogy was two great movies and one so-so movie.

For comedy, the Police Squad/Naked Gun ones were winners.

7. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

let's see...

- the first three "Alien" movies:
    "Alien" was cool
    "Aliens" was a bada** war movie
    "Alien III" was pretty cool too
    ..."Alien 4" pretty much sucked

- Indiana Jones :D

- Leathal Weapon I - IV

- the original "Star Wars"-series (as opposed to the horrible piece of poo that the new series is...)

vSpacken

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How many Star Trek movies have there been? Together, they add up to 3 or 4 good movies.

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

LOTR all the way man!

:D

Star wars was good and classic...

:cool:

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the Tremors trilogy ;):D.

I would have to say LOTR even though the 3rd one isnt out. Not much of a series watcher though.

scem0

11. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I dont think any movie that needs to be in a trilogy is great; honestly. Even the godfather trilogy wasnt *that* great

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Counting Academy Award nominations and awards is one way (among many) to judge movies. Measuring by that yardstick, it's hard to beat the Godfather trilogy: 28 Oscar nominations and 9 wins, including Best Picture in 1972 and Best Picture in 1974.

13. kungfu macrumors regular

THE terminator was a good trilogy as well... not all time best (LOTR would probably take that for me), but the first two are classics... third was alright.

the return of the king will decide it for me....

14. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Star Wars original trilogy and the prequel trilogy ( I just watched one and two again as well as read the spoilers for three) and I don't want to hear anyone say that the new trilogy is terrible. Maybe there are a few cringe-worthy portions in them, but if you watch the originals as just cinematography and acting (without the hype of having grown up with them), they are no better than the originals, in fact they are much worse. Besides, Episode 3 is going to be the greatest Star Wars movie of all time, guaranteed. It's still a year and a half until it's release, but I'm already counting the days!

But LOTR is extremely good, Back to the Future rocks, and Indiana Jones is sweet (Indiana Jones 4 anyone, anyone!!), I'm not sure about the Matrix yet, alot will depend upon how the plot threads are resolved in the Revolutions.

And...

while we're on the topic of movies, can someone explain the hype of Harry Potter to me? I honestly don't understand what's so neat about them. It's about a bunch of stupid misfit kids discovering and "fixing" problems and mysteries caused by their stupid misfit parents. It's almost like that TV show "Sabrina" that people only watched because Hart is cute. I mean, where do they go after they graduate from 'warts? Do they get to go out and cause problems and create mysteries for their stupid misfit kids to discover and "fix"? Or, are they like Gestapo police officers or something? I just don't see what the point is.

15. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Holy flying squidmen Batman!

I totally forgot about the Terminator trilogy. I went to see RotM in theatres with my friends before I had seen the originals, and I liked it so much that I rented and watched the first two.

Can there even be a T4?

Like "T4: The apocolyptic battle scene you've been waiting to see for 29 years!" coming July 2013 to a theatre near you! :D

16. job macrumors 68040

job

1. Indiana Jones
    2. Original Star Wars
    3. Lord of the Rings/Matrix (tie)

17. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Read the books, and then you can judge Harry Potter, and have all your questions answered. I think the thing that is so neat about them, besides the vastly complicated and detailed world JK Rowling has created, is the fact that everyone can relate to Harry, and feeling a little different, and out of place. They are also not 'stupid kids' seeing as Hermione is the smartest in her class. And, the problems were not created by their parents, but by the ignorance, and hate of Lord Voldermort. After they graduate from Hogwarts, they go on to professions such as teaching, going into the ministry of magic, or even catching evil wizards. These kids will NOT be going out and making problems for their kids, and in fact, they may not survive to see their graduation from Hogwarts. They are not the Gestapo police, and the point is very clear. JK Rowling has created a book that has so many good themes like working together, don't stereotype, and has successfully gotten a whole generation to become interested in reading again. I personally have read all the books, and loved them. The movies were OK, but not as good as they could have been. Again, read the books before you judge them, just as people should use a Mac before saying 'it stinks' or 'its slow' or other ignorant comments like that.

--Waluigi

18. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

If we're going to stick to trilogies only, I'd have to say Indiana Jones.

That said, Star Treks 2 (Khan), 4 (Voyage Home), 6 (The One About Klingons), 8 (First Contact), and 10 (Nemisis) are my favorite fivelogy. ;)

BTW, on the topic of Harry Potter:
    I - like many other people - really enjoy the books. They're not just about the kids, but about the world they're in (particularly in the fifth book). J.K. Rowling really puts a lot creativity and imagination into the stories that make them very captivating.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My vote is for:
    "Star Wars"
    "Indiana Jones"
    "Lord Of The Rings"

20. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

It looks like LOTR is going to take the #1 slot from Original Star Wars for best ever.
    I can't beleive no one has mentioned the Back to the Future trilogy yet.

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't think you can actually say that the Matrix and LOTR are the top trilogies - no one's seem them yet. Sure its quite possible they'll be great, but I'll wait until I see the final installments.

As for me - Indiana Jones, original Star Wars, Aliens and then Terminator.

Back to the Future was fun, but not spectacular....

D

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

LOTR-in fact I'm listening to the soundtrack right now. :) I didn't think that The Godfather was all that its played out to be. It was kind of.....ehg, if you catch my drift.

23. Waluigi macrumors 6502

sponsors

look at the sponsors at the bottom of this thread....

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Hands down the Godfather series. The LOTR series has some very good parts in the movies, but the changes from the books make no sense and distort the story. In short - love the cinematography, the casting, and would like to throttle the screenwriter (or the Director relative to his decision around the screenwriting).

And by the way stoid, I'm with Waluigi, don't judge the Harry Potter series until you have read them. These are wonderful books! I've read all of them with my kids and we all think they are great. Of course, you have to be able to appreciate great children's literature.

25. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I actually have read the first book Sorceror's Stone (my ex-girlfriend was a big fan of the series), and I do agree that it was fairly well written. I have always been a big fan of the Star Wars novels, and maybe it's just that HP storyline just isn't my flavor of madness. Part of it is that since I am lately no longer a little kid anymore (just started college) the sight of all those screaming/whining kids in line to see Harry Potter is revolting because it reminds me of my younger immature self in some ways. But, if it's like you said and the majority of these kids have either read the books or have had the books read to them, and they want to see the movie because they liked the book, then that absolutely is a good thing. I have seen the other books and they are definitely not single-sitting novels, so if children that young can get excited and hold interest to a story that long, I truly am impressed. Maybe once I get some time outside of college work I'll read some of the other books. Maybe I too can fall in love with the story (unlikely though). Sorry about any maimed feelings in my previous post, I did not intend to dis the novels. I was just confused about the hype and came off a little strong.