Best alternative to the 20" Apple Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by voxcon, Jan 16, 2005.

1. voxcon macrumors newbie

Hi folks, I'm looking for an LCD screen to go with a Mac mini.

Is there a better monitor than the Apple Cinema DIsplay at a similar or cheaper price with similar specs, ie with at least 1600 x 1200 resolution, good response time, contrast ratio and a couple of USB 2.0 ports?

The Formac Galllery Extreme looks very nice and is £575 at dabs.com, compared with £699 for the Apple. Other models I've looked at are Samsung and Viewsonic.

I'd also like it, if possible, for it to double up as a TV and hook up the Playstation, DVD recorder or cable box.

Cheers.

2. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Dell has a 20 inch widescreen that is equal to or better in every category, and it is about half price. you can often get a deal on it for around 600 shipped, in the US at least. Its got all the inputs you need. Great screen, I use it for my PM.

3. voxcon thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, spec wise the 2005FPW looks really good. But, to me it looks ugly and the cheapest I can find it is £495.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I really like the Samsung 21.3 inch model as a substitute. It's a nice size and a nice price.

5. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

If the cost differential between the Formac and Apple monitors that you are looking at is only 125 pounds, then you should go for the Apple. You can pick up the previous model at 20" for $799 U.S. Can't beat that with a stick. Besides, the Formac's are supposed to have terrible customer support should you need it as they are a German based company. I've also read on many reviews that the frame around the screen is "flimsy". Not something you'd particularily want on a monitor in my book.

You'll also have higher resale if you ever want to get rid of it by going with the Apple. In terms of Apple monitors, they seem to hold their value just like their computers do, which is of course very well. I'm not sure if Formac can say the same and I know that Dell can't. No matter what product Dell sells, they are still caught in that Windows/PC cost cutting vortex every year which devalues everything they make very quickly.

Just my 2 cents.... :D