Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Read the topic. Answer. lol. I have a bunch of old VHS home movies that I'd like to move onto DVD using iDVD/iMovie. Any guides on this and which hardware I should use?

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
use an analog/digital converter. It takes your analog signal (composite: red, white and yellow) and digitizes it in the form of a firewire stream onto your hard drive. But beware! This takes up huge hard drive space!

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I've got a 160GB on this sucker, with about 120GB still available, so I think I'm fine for that.

Can you reccomend actual converter?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Originally posted by neoelectronaut
I've got a 160GB on this sucker, with about 120GB still available, so I think I'm fine for that.

Can you reccomend actual converter?

Try the Formac TVR unit, avoid the Dazzle VD Bridge: http://www.formac.com/p_bin/index_uk.html?cid=solutions_converters_studiodvtv

You'll need 1Gig of storage for around 4 minutes of DVDstream storage, so you hav about 8 hours of storage, but you'll need space for render files, and DVD authoring and file management, call it 8gig.

You can also use some Digi cams to pass video and audio through to the Mac on a firewire link, if you have a decent digicam, check it out.

I guess you have iMovie and iDVD, otherwise you'll need editors and DVD authoring to. Remember, iDVD 3 only allows 1 hour of video currently, upgrading to iLife 04 will get you iDVD 4 and 2 hous on a disc.

P

paulc

I keep reading knocks on the Hollywood Dazzle, but I transferred 4 or 5 hours of video using a borrowed one and it all came out flawlessly.

All of the various converters seem to be priced around the 300 dollar mark. Canopus just announced a lower cost version... not sure what the differences are, but Canopus seems to be the brand that most gets recommended.

One thing to be aware of. When "importing" the video in iMovie, it will create numerous 1.9G "clips." Freaked me when it happened, then I found out about the 2G file size limit (not sure if this changed, but I think I was using version 2 at the time). It was quite easy to dump the multiple clips to a single file; as this was dv to dv, there should be no loss of data or quality.

Also, be aware that you CAN burn those DV files directly to DVD by using Toast. If you want to put multiple clips, it will automatically create a "pick the clip" series of menus... yes, rudimentary stuff, but also quite effective and straightforward to accomplish. As with iDVD, you just can't vary anything to increase or decrease the amount of time that you can burn to DVD (i.e. increasing compression to fit more on).

boobers

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
DV cam

If you already have a DV Cam you can run it in AV>DV mode. (depending on the model)
I use a Canon ZR50MC for this and it works great.

Or just record the TV.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Re: DV cam

Originally posted by boobers
If you already have a DV Cam you can run it in AV>DV mode. (depending on the model)

hmmm?! I'll have to check that out!

I've been doing it the longer way of recording from VHS->DVTape and then importing from the DVCam.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
I got a hollywood bridge and it is fine, not sure why people dont like it?easy way to take old vhs and get it into your mac.

We bought a bunch at the Uni, 3 out of 6 had to go back within a week, and the others suffered from random clicking on the audio.

We eventually got 4 working OK, but it was a struggle. Others have said there are problems as noted, I've used one at home and had no problems, but the pass-through on my Sony camera works better.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
I use my Sony camcorder to RIP video directly into my Powermac from the TV output of my PC, the analog outputs of my Tivo, and from the analog outputs of my VCR.

Since you already own a camcorder, an additional dedicated DV bridge(like the Dazzle) would not be needed.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Just to let you all know, the only camcorder I have is a 8mm sony from like '94. None of that special digital stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.