best antivirus etc software for 'it'

Discussion in 'Community' started by CelticBhoy, Feb 20, 2004.

1. CelticBhoy macrumors member

Jan 27, 2004
    Please, please, please forgive me ..... but I trust you guys. I'm a mac man, but my wife has to use a pc for her work (it was provided for her). What is the best anti-virus software, firewall stuff etc out there. Any recommendations would be helpful. 'It' runs xp, and I'll pay for a decent package.

PS 'It' know I'm a mac man. I'm absolutely sure of it. Anyone else had this experience ?
  2. Dr. No macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2003
  3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I don't know much about the subject, but I always find it humorous when new members think that we will get mad at them for owning a PC. It sucks, but it's not something to be ashamed of :p

4. raytube macrumors member

Nov 13, 2003
    For virus protection on PC I have used Norton Anti Virus a lot and it's good, for a free option you could go for AVG,, you get free virus updates with that too. I would probably recommend using the whole Norton suite as Windows tends to need the maintenance that apps like WinDoctor can offer ;)

Win XP has a firewall built in to it, it doesn't get enabled by default when you set up an internet connection (why not? I don't know...), just right click on any connection icon and select properties and there should be a tick box for enabling firewall. Be aware though that this firewall is an incoming one only, basically if you got infected with a virus or trojan then it would be able to communicate outwards. A more complete firewall will scan incoming and outgoing traffic.

Hope that info helps!

5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I have used Symantec for more than a decade. They have many great products, among them is antivirus. I'm currently using it on an XP at a Church where I volunteer once a week. I really like how easily it is to run virus updates.
  6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    We've always had decent luck with Norton at work.

An bhfuil Gaelige agat?
  7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    It sucks, he should be ashamed and I am mad! :p :D

I use Trend on all of my networks because at the time when Norton and McAfee failed my needs Trend looked good. I am not as familiar with the individual user products from Trend. (since I use the server based Office Scan and Scan Mail. However Trend on the server saves my butt daily. )

As For Norton I have had experience with fixing it recently. In fact today we fixed a computer who's internet stopped working with the Norton internet security. (It was a flaw in Norton's program that we had to repair...)

Hope it helps.
  8. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    London, Ontario
    at work i recomend Norton. its the simplest scanner to use, updates are nice and easy through the liveupdate app and its not intrusive at all..

and as mentioned earlier, AVG is great as well for a no dough solution..
  9. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2004
    South Bucks, UK
    i use Bullguard 4.0 on my pc, I used to use Norton Internet Security but it started slowing my pc down so I got rid of it. McAfee worked pretty well for me as well. Why don't you try the 30 day trials that are available and see which works best for you?
  10. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    My parents use Trend on their PCs, it's unintrusive, and it's easy to modify it to allow unlimited free upgrades ;)