best antivirus program for my Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 18, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ok before you suggest I do a search because I did an extensive search and even read the different suggestions for a mac-I just want to know what's the best antivirus program to get for a mac?

Please dont suggest I dont get one because I will be buying one regardless. I know there's virex, but is there anything else that's necessary other than that?

I must get all of the latest updates and security things necessary because my job won't let me connect my computer to the network (over 300 people) until that happens. They dont know much about macs but my organization of about 40 people has caused the last 2/6 network viruses from bringing computers from home (laptop pc's). They just want to take every precaution now. Soooo with that being said I MUST get something for my computer or install something that will ensure that I dont infiltrate the network. Any and all help would be appreciated.

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Virex is what I use, and I use it for the same reason you do: IT folks at certain clients require it before allowing a network connection for my PB.

3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I still don't understand why you would need one.... But get virex.. It is a cpu hog but it isn't known to kill your computer. I had McAffee(?) and it ended up corupting my entire hard drive. And it isn't just me... alot of people have had that happen. See if you can talk your way out of virus protection..

kyle

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

YOU DON'T NEED ONE.

hehehe... want a hard drive? :p

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

McAffee is pretty good, and from what I have heard Virex is pretty good. However, I would suggest staying away from Norton AV. In my experience it is a Piece of Crap. This may be an isolated experience, but this is my suggestion.

8. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

.Mac and Virex is Free

The newest version of Virex is free if you are a dot Mac member.... :eek:

may be worth it to subscribe in stead of buying....

9. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

always has been.

your best viral defense: common sense. :rolleyes:

10. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

You don't need one. And please don't write your posts or titles in all caps. It's really annoying.

11. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    WE USE VIREX ON OUR XSERVE G4 AT WORK, AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

(Sorry, couldn't resist since your question was ALL IN CAPS) :p

Seriously though, I'd second the emotion to stay away from Norton anything - it's a CPU hog, and SystemWorks actually did more damage to my system than it repaired.

I know the common belief is that you really don't need virus software for Macs, and I tend to agree with this. However, I have found that any virus software on a Mac platform will strip out annoying Windows virus attachments from email that can collect and hang out on your hard drive. Also, there still is the occasional Word/Excel transmitted virus that can still wreck at least a little havoc.

Good luck!

12. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Well I'm going to go against the majority here and suggest Norton Anti-Virus 9 :eek:

I definetly wouldn't use Norton System Works it really does screw with your Mac, but the standalone NAV is perfectly safe. I say this without conviction because I have always had NAV installed on my Macs and have never had issues with it. On many occassions NAV has identified and removed quite a few viruses.

Virex IMO does hog far more CPU then NAV does.

Please don't flame this post I'm offering an unbias opinion to the original post. :cool:

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It's called Mac OSX 10.3.8 from Apple Computers.

14. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

15. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Wow, is it new. I've never heard of it. ;) :D

Seriously, DON'T BUY ONE, YOU DON'T NEED IT!!!!

Your business network will be fine. There are no viruses/virii for Mac. Even if there were Mac viruses, they would not affect a PC network.

16. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I'd sugest Virex it's a good program, although I disabled it on my Mac at home since I don't need it :) . And for thoes of you who say he dosen't need it, you are technicly correct, he does not need it to protect himself, but he does need it to protect his company as this machine will be used on his corporate network as he said. His Mac will not get infected if a virus happens to come in, but it could infect his company's PC's through his Mac, Funny for the Mac user yes :D , but bad for his future with his company.

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

How exactly does a virus infect pc environment through a mac? Does it hijack mail? Nope. Hijack Safari? Nope again. Does it make OS X send virii through the network? Wrong.
    The only was for that to happen is for the Mac user to FORWARD (this has to be a deliberate action) an email containing a virus to a pc on the network.
    Virus programs are a waste with a mac, but if you MUST get one, just grab virex. Norton is quite a pain and a huge resource hog.

18. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yer thats correct, i was reading a mac magizine on viruses and they said that a virus built for windows what effect the mac but if you transported say the email with the virus in it, it then can affect a windows machine. As for virus software i have no clue.

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

1. There has been a lot of these "Do I need anti virus?" threads lately... Is the search function out of order or something...?

2. You really don't need any AV on a Mac running OS X, keep the firewall on, and get Paranoid Android, Little Snitch or similar, but - again - AV is just gonna mess up your system, and the chance of it capturing a Mac OS X virus, when that appears is very slim...

3. Best solution to be safe on any computer is to have good backup routines...

4. THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT!!! WE CAN READ HEADLINES EVEN IF IT'S NOT IN CAPITALS. (I see others have mentioned this, but I don't think it can be emphasized enough...)

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Guys, can you just not be self-righteous for a moment? He knows he doesn't need one, but his job requires it. Telling him "you don't need one" doesn't much help that situation, does it? Bureaucratic BS doesn't stop for common sense.

21. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Thanks paulwhannel, that's exactly the point I was trying to make.
    And thanks ds1 for answering that other post for me. It's exactly what I would have said.

22. dr bognus macrumors newbie

heres some advice from someone who already has had a virus in mac osX, virex is absolutely awful and is in my opinion a complete waste of money. The virus i had was the microsoft word virus, no trouble for me but lots of trouble for pc ppl. I tried virex to see if i could clean it up but it couldnt even detect the virus. You dont want norton either cos that slows your computer so personally i would stick to something like clamxav so at least if you get a virus you will find out you have altough you cannot disinfect the file..

23. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Actually what your talking about is not a virus in the sense that we mean. See this and you'll see why Virex did not pick up on it.

EDIT: Oh and the latest version of Virex does scan for Macro Viruses, so you might not have been up to date if your Virex didn't catch it. See here

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Switchers... old habits die hard.

25. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I guess so... :rolleyes:

But even ex-Windows users should be able to use the quite userfriendly search feature here on the forums... :p