Best antivirus program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by glay, Sep 15, 2004.

1. glay macrumors member

I was wondering what would be a good anti-virus program?
    I also heard from someone that mac's can't get virsues, is this true?
    Thank! :)

2. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Macs CAN get viruses - it's just that very few - like two or three, total - get written for the platform, probably due to the small market share.

If you feel the need to run AV software, I'd recommend Virex. That's what I run. More importantly, stay away from anything Norton. It's great stuff for Windows, but they just can't seem to get the Mac platform right.

There will be many who will tell you that AV software is a waste of money and processor power, and they're right, for now. One day, though, there will be a virus. You've just got to ask yourself: Do I feel lucky today? Well, do ya', punk? ;)

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Nah... Norton sucks bad for a PC too. If you need AV for a PC... I'd recommend AVG. ;-)

Norton as a whole sucks. Any product. Just my opinion.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Actually, there are no--as in zero, zilch, nada--MacOS X-specific viruses. There have been a couple of proof-of-concept Trojans developed, but those are not viruses. The reason that there are no MacOS X viruses has nothing to do with marketshare. The reason that Windows is replete with viruses has nothing to do with its marketshare. There are no MacOS X viruses because the design of the OS does not permit viruses. The MacOS X developer and user cultures follow Apple's example and do not circumvent the OS design. Windows, on the other hand, is designed to permit the easy development and propagation of viruses. The Windows developer and user culture follow Microsoft's lax attitude about security and are not particularly concerned about circumventing the little security that exists on the platform.

5. mr_mac macrumors member

mr_mac

Plain and simple.

When a Virus gets out, if ever someone is able to crack OS X, create a virus and spread it before apple releases a security update, (like that's ever gonna happen...) Your ****ty antivirus software won't recognize it anyway...

Would you wear a gas mask at the mall because you may catch a cold? Common...

Anyway, what's the point in creating a Mac Virus. Us, real computer users know better than to self destruct ourself.

Long live the Mac...

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

this is true, i remeber reading about the first proof of concept trojan for OS X. though i would still wonder if there is a use for a program that might make sure my e-mail is clean, so i dont accadentaily fwd a virus to one of my windows friends (yes im sorry i have many of them, though i try to convert the savages when possible!)

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

On a side-note, is there a need for a firewall besides what OSX offers, what is best to use?

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Exactly. The best antivurus software out there is OSX.

9. bubbamac macrumors 6502

I think what you meant was that MacOS makes it difficult for a potential virus to cause damage at the system level.

There is NO virus-impervious OS.

And, yes, I'll concede that there have been no OSX specific virii.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

NAV Corporate for Windows is the best thing since sliced bread :D

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Virex

As part of .Mac you get Virex free. It includes updates and it has found some Word viruses from email attachments. It's true that those viruses won't cause any harm on my Mac but I don't want to email those infected documents to a Windows user. I scan all my documents for viruses since I do work with co-workers that have Windows.

.Mac has been worth it to me but I noticed at least 4 or 5 times I would purchase a program at full retail and later .Mac has a promotion that gives me a nice discount if I would have waited.

12. Anra macrumors newbie

How can I update my Virex. It is free with my OSX system, but I do not know how to update it. Is the update free as well?

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Do you have Virex 7.21 (or the temporarily discontinued Virex 7.5)? If you don't, go to the .Mac page and download it. If you do, open Virex, click the eUpdate button, enter your administrative password when prompted, and wait for Virex to download and install the update if one is available. Virex virus definition updates are free to .Mac subscribers, at least. I'd think virus updates would be free direct from McAfee, but I've never used it that way - only through .Mac.

14. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Updates are part of the .Mac membership. It seems to do the updates on it's own but it has a eUpdate button in the toolbar also.

I had to check my home directory the other day and it found 2 viruses in the summary report but I have to manually search thru a huge list of thousands of files to find the names of those files. That is my only grip with this product. It doesn't just show you a list of the files that have the virus.

It does have an option to clean them for me. It also has an option to save the report to a file so I can search for errors.

15. Anra macrumors newbie

Virex Update

I have Virex 7.2. When I try to update it requires Mac membership. Does that mean that I have to get a full membership for $99 per year, or what? English is not my native language so I might missunderstand some of the messages.
    I do not have problems with viruses, but the Lan net that I am in might have some since it's all PCs, so I want to have some defence.

ANRA

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That is correct. You need to be a full .Mac subscriber (paying the US$99 per year fee) to use Virex eUpdate.

17. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama